Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Aug 13 - Aug 20

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a communal gathering place to share, report weekly fishing activity.

This will benefit those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters. The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own fish reports.   This is the fourth year for this type of approach. The years past have had great participation and much success.  Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero, let us all know if the bite is good or just not worth it getting off the couch.  Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel with the ever changing fishing conditions we have today. 

It maybe one or two days out of the whole year where the rising sun lines up with some special landmark where there is no parallax error.  The sun delineates each day across the hemisphere as we move from one day to the next. It’s never in the same place. Here is an extraordinary photo of the sun rising directly over Point Judith Lighthouse that I was able to capture this morning. If I go to the same exact location tomorrow, the sunrise would be just to the right of it.

IMG_2600.JPG

IMG_2603.JPG

Great shot!  I was out last night on South Shore and had no luck getting any nibble on anything I threw.  The incoming tide has not been productive and almost all my catches are coming from outgoing.  The good news is, the red seaweed that's been plaguing that area appeared to have mostly cleared out.  Will be around throughout the weekend.

Started fishing the beach at 3 AM this morning. Top of the tide and extremely calm water. Picked up two slot fish (29” and 33”) between 4 AM and 4:15 AM, just as the tide turned. Both caught on a jig head and slug-go, white on white. Bite lasted only 15 mins., then totally quiet til dawn. One guy got a chub mackerel right at dawn. The shoreline was blackened with rain bait up to the time that I left. Photo is the 33” bass.

7CD06A37-DFDB-4541-8703-441AADD40761.jpeg

Edited by atlantictrader

When using Albie Snax for Bonito and Albies what size hook are you using, When tying flies I use size 1 or 2 sometimes even done to 8 a friend said I should use a size 3/0 for albie snax that seems to large

Had a nice morning yesterday on the west side of Jamestown. The weather was great, no humidity and cooler temps. Tons of bait in the water and the fish woke up at dawn and were really active hammering bait in a little cove for the last hour or so of the outgoing tide. Had 2 on surface plugs and 1 on a SS stubby needle, 24 - 29" range. 

While I was out there I had 2 guys about 200 ft to my right on some rocks and 2 guys about 300 ft to my left casting away, totally oblivious to the fish busting and birds working right in front of me. Not complaining, just strange that they didn't move towards where I was as they weren't pulling anything that I could see. 

1 hour ago, Quonnie said:

When using Albie Snax for Bonito and Albies what size hook are you using, When tying flies I use size 1 or 2 sometimes even done to 8 a friend said I should use a size 3/0 for albie snax that seems to large

At least a 3/0 - That's the size I use, but know very successful fishermen use 4/0 or even 5/0 hooks. You have to remember that the way you rig the snax, the hook is largely embedded into the plastic. so it's not like there's a large hook plainly visible for the fish to see. A size 1 hook will only allow for the about 1/5th  or less being rigged. You may get some short strikes from albies, but this is more so common with bonito, and a small hook in a snax will all but assure a missed fish (bonito)

4 hours ago, Quonnie said:

I use a twist lock 4/0.  That's the size hook recommended by the manufacturer.

https://www.fishsnaxlures.com/shop/albie-snax-4-0-twistlock-hooks-4-pack

Fished from a rock in a channel out front today. Windless made the mosquito bad. Caught some keeper seabass and togs, slow. Saw pods and pods of bait balled up close to casting distance an hour up until before dead low. Not sure what's underneath harassing them. Birds went somewhere when this happen. 

Later on the incoming all the tiny little bait (millions of them) hugged close to shore. Silverside perhaps? Very small, under 1/2".

Fished some skinny water looking for schoolies last night, last of the outgoing. Mixed size schoolies were smashing rain bait but I couldn't buy a hit. I did snag 3 or 4 bay anchovies (I think). My phone started dinging  but didn't check it until I was back at the truck. It was photos of my buds 6 5"  blufin he boated  earlier in the evening.

Over the weekend I caught some mackerel on the fly rod from the boat off a south shore beach. From the surf I was only getting bass hits on larger plugs that stood out from the clouds of peanut bunker.