TJ2021

Montauk Surf Rod

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I am looking for a montauk surf rod suggestion. Pairing it with a vr200. I’m gonna be hitting montauk all of fall and I’m looking for a rod that is very fun when you get into a schoolie blitz but can also handle an occasional cow if need be. For the most part I’ll be tossing 3/4-1 oz lures but will go up to 3 oz in some conditions. Any suggestions are appreciated 

3 hours ago, TJ2021 said:

I am looking for a montauk surf rod suggestion. Pairing it with a vr200. I’m gonna be hitting montauk all of fall and I’m looking for a rod that is very fun when you get into a schoolie blitz but can also handle an occasional cow if need be. For the most part I’ll be tossing 3/4-1 oz lures but will go up to 3 oz in some conditions. Any suggestions are appreciated 

Century S1 Stealth 10' or 11'

Won't wear you out, you can cast all night and Won't get tired or sore.

Will throw a 1/2oz bucky on up to 4oz but happiest to 3oz. Loads of fun on smaller fish but tons of low end power for big fish. Distance with ease.

3 hours ago, TJ2021 said:

ODM Genesis 11 foot 3/4-4 oz. Throws the whole range well and is especially good for plugging. 

4 hours ago, TJ2021 said:

With that reel size, I’d recommend choosing a 10ft 11ft rod 3/4-4oz for montauk.  Lamiglas, ODM, are St Croix are few good rod companies. 

4 hours ago, TJ2021 said:

Where are you located?

38 mins ago, reelfire said:

I would not be taking a VR to Montauk in the fall.

I wouldn’t take a VR in the water :p

Ditto what rreelman said.

I am wondering who use 10'6" Black Hole Cape Cod Nano rods there.

I think the rods are great as they are flexible and relatively moderate as well as strong. The Nano rods are OK around rocks unlike graphite rods.

I’d talk to some of the builder here and possibly get yourself an 11 footer 132 1m. 
There are a lot of options but non I have found this the best hands down. I would not get anything less that 11 feet for Montauk. I hate bog rod and always look for an excuse to drop length but never there. You really need the long stick. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 hours ago, reelfire said:

I would not be taking a VR to Montauk in the fall.

I use a gosa in Montauk in the fall. OP will be just fine with a VR, unless they plan on skishing…which I don’t even know if it’s a thing anymore.

Edited by C.Robin

14 mins ago, C.Robin said:

I use a gosa in Montauk in the fall. OP will be just fine with a VR, unless they plan on skishing…which I don’t even know if it’s a thing anymore.

Definitely not skishing but plan to really beat the thing up. When walking out to rocks I like to use my rod as basically a walking stick so it’s gonna be getting dunked and banged around.