Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
springman26

Simms surf top

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Quality control my butt! I bought the gore-tex waders from Simms earlier this year...used them maybe 12 times and they started leaking in both boots. Returned them to Simms and they repaired them...40 pin holes! eek.gif How do you get 40 pin holes in gore-tex from wading open beaches? Lots of people love Simms and rave about their reliability...mine have been hardly worth the clams i shelled out for 'em.

Don't have a clue about the surf top, though. smile.gif

40 pin hole in new waders!!!

That was a processing problem in the manufacture of the neoprene. I would have demanded new waders not a repair!!

I have a pair of Gortex breathables and they are the nutz!!

The Simms top is great, Just not in hot/ humid weather. I mainly only wear it when I know I might be taking some breakers over the head. It is far better than the Aquaskinzs since it has bigger pockets, more comfortable neck and costs a few bucks less. I love the Simms gortex waders too. No leaks after 4 months and the most comfortable I have ever owned. I know they will leak sooner or later but it is good to know the company will repair them.

I have not expierienced it first hand but I had seen one of these drytops, which had been worn very few times, already showing lots of wear around the neoprene areas. So just be careful when buying it, but then again if simms has as good of customer service as everyone states there should be no fear of a problem.

Steve24

That's an interesting observation Steve. I have been interested in these types of tops for a little while but have not taken the plunge and baught one yet.

Whilst good customer service is admirable. I would still like to see good product too, as who wants the hassle after laying out serious money only to have to return stuff.

I am going to take a butchers at the Aquaskins in Freddies and see how they bear up to the rigours of surf and rock.

Cheers

Mike O>

I just bought an aquaskinz dry top recently because I have heard so much great stuff about them and also Aquaskinz will definetly stand by their product. I am sure simms is great too, but the aquaskinz tops just seemed more rugged than the simms breathable dry tops.