hunter123

backing for braid.

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

It's braid time again. I'm going to Cabelas tomorrow to have 30# suffix 832 braid put on my 6500 slammer 3. What lb mono should I make the guy put on first as a backing. I'm buying a 300 yrd spool of 832. I was told if the lb mono is to big , the braid can dig into it. Thanks all again. You guy's have been very helpfull to swing me to trying braid again.

I usually use 15lb Big Game backing for 90% of reels.  Not sure if that's good or bad but it's what I do. To be fair I can't remember the every really getting down to the backing to see if it digs in or not. 

Braid does not need backing because it does not stretch and cannot deform the spool.

There does need to be a layer of tape under the braid so it does not slip on the spool.

A 6500 slammer will take about 600yds of 30lb suffix 832 without backing. I never use mono backing lighter than the rating given to the braid. It has to be rigged tight to prevent digging, and you have to start laying your braid down with a fast/wide pattern. Once you can no longer see the backing, you can slow it down and try to match the oscillation pattern of the reel.

-And just for the OP, that particular reel doesn't like to be over filled. At all. Make sure there's a 4-5mm space between your line and the lip of the spool.

I don't trust the little rubber bands placed on spools to prevent slippage. The stakes are too high, and it takes almost no effort at all to put 30" of mono on first. And tape melts in Florida. People still do it, especially on light baitcasters that have limited capacity. Not my thing. I'm going in today, and I'm very likely to be doing some rigging. I'll take some photos if you guys think you need them.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I don't use backing or tape at all. I kind of independently came up with my own knot that others use too for attaching braid to the spool. I wrap the main line 15-20 times around the arbor, then 10-12 turn uni knot the tag (about 12" long) around the main line. I pull the main line the opposite direction I wound it on to snug the uni down to the arbor after fully tightening it. 

The main line will actually break before it spins on the arbor, even with no wraps on after the backing knot. 

Use this on everything, it has never failed me. 

Edited by RedGreen

i’ve been using a little mono backing under braid since i was first handed a spool of braid (“multi”) to try back in the 90s.  if i recall, it was 30#.  a note that read “load a base of 10-15# mono under the braid before you spool it on” came with the gift.

been doing it like that.  never ever had a slippage or had any braid dig into the mono.

I usually use what I have laying around if it's reasonably close to the diameter of the braid I'm using. 10-15lb most of the time. In general, I use backing to save money and not for any other reason.

6 hours ago, hunter123 said:

It's braid time again. I'm going to Cabelas tomorrow to have 30# suffix 832 braid put on my 6500 slammer 3. What lb mono should I make the guy put on first as a backing. I'm buying a 300 yrd spool of 832. I was told if the lb mono is to big , the braid can dig into it. Thanks all again. You guy's have been very helpfull to swing me to trying braid again.

The cheapest mono up to 30lb is fine.  Do they offer free service to spool the reel?  If not, why dont you do it yourself?  Just have to make sure you spool the braid onto the reel tightly.  If you dont know how much mono to put on to fill the reel with braid, there are videos on the Tube to show you how.  Its a bit tedious, but at least you save money and you have done it yourself. 

Unless you're made of money or fishing very deep waters on a boat you don't need a full spool of braid on most reels unless you're targeting sharks or very big fish from shore.  200-250 yards of braid is more than enough for shore fishing unless you're an elite surfcaster tossing 100+ yards on the regular.  You would still have plenty of line plus mono backing to fight the fish.  

I use mono backing spooled on fairly tight.  I pinch the line with my fingers, gloves or a towel to keep the tension while spooling.  I also spool my braid tight to avoid compression if there's a snag or hook onto something big.  Otherwise the braid will dig into itself.  Some reels have terrible line lay and can cross braid to reduce it digging into itself.  Most reels however have decent line lay so if it's on tight (especially the portion of line that will never see daylight) the better.  After I spool a reel with braid, I squeeze the spool/line.  If I can't compress it with my fingers it's on tight enough for me.  If it feels spongy, I spool it tighter.  

My rule of thumb on what pound mono backing is, if I used mono on this reel, what pound mono would I typically use?  For saltwater I use 15-20# mono backing.  Freshwater 8-10# backing (if it's an ultralight setup on a 500-1000 size reel I skip the mono backing but use electrical tape against the spool).  I may up size it up/down a bit depending on what I had available.