BlackLab1

VR50 Gen 1 or Gen 2

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Curious. How do I differentiate between a VR50 Gen 1 and Gen 2?  S/N ? 

I tried "The Google" and had no luck. I know you guys know?  

..I have a  Stradic 5000 now on my Century weapon 7'10"  and have an opportunity to move up to the VR50 in Silver.  

20 years a go , I had 2 VS150's, loved em.  For some reason or other moved away from them , looking back idunno why. 

Thanks-

bc

The main difference is the main shaft.  I am going to order the VR75 but still might want to get the VR50 also for smaller rods but that is more for looks as the weight is very close 8.9 to 9 oz

8 mins ago, BlackLab1 said:

No one knows how to tell a VR50 Gen 1 from Gen 2? 

I thought I'd get a very definitive answer here... 

hmmm 

Found a video on Youtube giving an overview of Gen 2 new features. Uploaded by the NJ tackle shop that goes by fish heads

On 8/12/2021 at 8:13 AM, BlackLab1 said:

No one knows how to tell a VR50 Gen 1 from Gen 2? 

I thought I'd get a very definitive answer here... 

hmmm 

Allow me to add to your confusion. When the VR50 came out I got one in silver (that's all they had at the time). Somewhere along the way (1.5 years after) the black lab version showed up. Shortly after that (or at the same time) a "longer" handle stem black version showed up which I bought (I sold the original shorter stem silver version some months before I knew the longer stem version was coming).

Now there is the VR 50 & VR 75 ... and no one as yet has really described the differences like the video above or the comment about a different drag knob. Because the weights are nearly the same, I'm thinking the latest version of the VR 50/75 have the long stem mechanics with interchangeable upper spool ... along with tweaks to the drag system like the newer spool cap, etc.

The new VR 150 / 175 are beefed up (for off shore boats) and weigh more along with a longer stem and changed cosmetics (drag cap). That's all I know ... haven't held one or seen them in the wild.

I watched the video, my main shaft on my gen 1 looks like the main shaft on the gen 2, it is a constant diameter and made from stainless. Does anyone with a vr50 have a main shaft that looks like the one in the video on the silver reel?

I just read that thread. I'm tired, but, seems like no one ever landed on anything definitive. 

The one I have is 4 months old. If someone figures it out the difference, post it here and we will all know.

Till then and probably after that, I'm just gonna fish it and be happy.

Cheers.

12 hours ago, BlackLab1 said:

I just read that thread. I'm tired, but, seems like no one ever landed on anything definitive. 

The one I have is 4 months old. If someone figures it out the difference, post it here and we will all know.

Till then and probably after that, I'm just gonna fish it and be happy.

Cheers.

If it's 4 months old it's probably a Gen 2. Gen 1 has an "RK" decal on the body. The Gen 2.5 VR50s coming out now have a larger AR gear. They did not rebadge these and the only way to tell the difference is to hold them up side by side. The Gen 2.5 will have a slightly larger body. The Goose just got in over 100 reels. None were the VR50. It's all very confusing. All VR50s arriving in shops now will be the Gen 2.5

Posted (edited) · Report post

In the other thread it appears the upgraded reels ID start with S/N xxxx. As opposed to just numbers and no letters.

Mine has S/N xxxx.

Edited by LowEnd