Mark L

Peanuts?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Anyone seeing any pods of them hugging the sound shoreline?  I haven’t seen them in good numbers since 15. I know adult pods are all over the sound. I would have thought all those adults would be pumping out babies all over the place but I could be wrong. What are you guys seeing? 15 fall run was great with them all around. 

There are insane amounts of tiny peanuts in the sound right now. They are really tiny, around 1”. They were everywhere from near shore to a few miles out. The problem is there weren’t any fish around eating them. 

59 mins ago, z-man said:

There are insane amounts of tiny peanuts in the sound right now. They are really tiny, around 1”. They were everywhere from near shore to a few miles out. The problem is there weren’t any fish around eating them. 

It’s crazy the dinner bell is ringing but no one is coming. Thanks for the info. 

Agree with Z. I'm seeing them right on shore and about 1 mile Out in a couple rips as well. Stripers were smashing them from sun up until I had to leave for work around 8. It felt like an October day with fish on every cast. 

was crabbing on the CT River today, saw lots of dead bunker floating upstream with the tide. Also saw peanuts jumping further out in the river. Cycle of life. 

6 mins ago, No One Here said:

yeah ive definitely had bass and blues on em pretty thick in my area. early am, evening and on some of the cloudy days

I’ve been going at night and seeing adult bunker. I guess I’m gonna have to change it up and start going mornings. 

I have not seen any peanuts yet, but i have seen lots of adult bunker and shad in tight to shore.  A few nights there were fish on them and it was a productive night, most fish in mid 30 inch range with a few in the low 40 inch range.  Other nights there is bait everywhere and not a striper to be found.  Oddly enough, my bigger fish this season have come with no visible sign of bait. 

Seeing all sizes of bunker just about everywhere.

Not seeing much eating them.

And the few times I have seen them being eaten they are out of casting range.     :mad:

Just got home from trip to Florida.  Gonna try and get out tonight, thanks for the info hopefully things have improved in my area in the past week. 

Ran into a pile of peanuts on Friday night on my walk back in.  They were everywhere along the shoreline w small fish breaking on them.  1-2" size.  It's like they showed up overnight.  Spoke to another buddy and he ran into them everywhere last night as well.   

The pile of bait probably means the ,the fish that are left are pretty well fed and not having to work to hard to find food.  It's a hit or miss situation  Normal spots aren't working very well for me this year.