gray gables

Canal discharge pipe

Rate this topic

95 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I'm curious if anyone has a feel for how many developments on the Cape are using packaged treatment plants on-site?

This is what happens when there is no sewer hookups but the bulldozers must be fed. 

They treat the waste minimally. The DEP/EPA discharge permits are far more lenient than surface discharge. The second teir contract operators are staffed by rejects that couldn't cut it at a town run WWTF.

So basically, those condos units and shopping malls with mini-**** plant in back are all dumping their minimally treated waste into an aquifer where pollution is known to wander far and wide.

In other words, into the Cape's already compromised drinking water. 

With a larger capacity regional WWTF, the bulldozers can go ahead and finish off the last open space. Bring on the sewer hookups. Tax revenue for everyone!

And instead of pissing in your tap water, the waste from all the new residents can be swept out to sea by the world's largest flush.

Edited by mikez2

Posted (edited)

^^^^^^^^ 

Brookside Village in Bourne has one such facility on site.  240+ condo's.  Unsure if it operates as you describe.

Canal Bluffs in Buzzards Bay has a system installed by Aqua Point.  Unsure if it operates as you describe....fair amount of info on line about this particular installation. 

Edited by Joe G

An important question to ask is what happens when we get 4” of rain and you have road an sewage and the system is over taxed. Do you have untreated water discharged into the canal like what happens on the Merrimack River?

8 mins ago, j-pod said:

An important question to ask is what happens when we get 4” of rain and you have road an sewage and the system is over taxed. Do you have untreated water discharged into the canal like what happens on the Merrimack River?

Combined storm water and sewer are a problem. They get overwhelmed.

A typical WWTP should have holding tank large enough to minimize “shocking” the plant. They should process a pretty consistent amount of waste throughout the day. 

Storm water should not go to a WWTP. That is for human waste. 

3 hours ago, mikez2 said:

So basically, those condos units and shopping malls with mini-**** plant

Ive built some while working at a machine shop/fabrication facility many years ago I believe they use a flocculant for particles from what I was told but beyond that not sure.  The  idea of the concept  was "supposed to be" with more independent micro plants ..If there was a malfunction or emergency with only one main facility less people would be affected.. and obviously $$ .. In my opinion a large treatment facility will have serious/competent oversight and undoubtedly high  water quality by comparison..   The company we were building these units for was US Filter at the time 

5 hours ago, Carlezon said:

.   The company we were building these units for was US Filter at the time 

Wow! Blast from the past! I worked for them back in the mid 70s.

1 hour ago, ged said:

Finally a reason to hope for discharge! (I feel like this quote could be used against me later)

The Tavern could use it. :p

12 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Wow! Blast from the past! I worked for them back in the mid 70s.

I worked for them in the early 2000s. In fact, we watched the towers come down on 9-11 in the conference room of the plant.

Posted (edited)

Massachusetts population

2000  6.204 M

2005  6.45   M

2010  6.631 M

2015  6.794 M

2019  6.892 M

2021  7.1 M

They keep looking for way to lower emissions, reduce sewerage, etc yet the population just continues to grow. Many of this growth is taken from 3rd world nations where I assume they had a lower impact on the planet due to their lifestyles, hygiene etc.. and here we turn them into the American alpha consumer. Just keep bringing them here and see where the future leads us.

Edited by gdc23

23 mins ago, bob_G said:

Maybe I missed it, but how many gallons will the  proposed pipe discharge into the canal daily?

Upwards of 3 million gallons of treated sewage.