dtracy43

roof racks

14 posts in this topic

Does anyone run a roof rack pole system with a pick up truck ? debating putting one on Chevy Silverado. How far will my 10'6 pole hang over front ?

show your set ups

I have used roof racks on trucks with fly rods ranging from 9-16’ long.  Ski racks.  On one truck I had one ski rack on the canopy and one on the cab.  On another truck I had both racks on the canopy.    I never tried both racks on the cab.  They hang forward a bit, but no issues, even up to 65 mph.  I will be doing this again on my new truck, once I get a canopy.  

Not my rig, but the same idea

rr573_82_1000.jpg[/img]

Edited by SSPey

I have rhino rack cross bars and the rhino rack rod/ski holder.  My only regret is not getting the largest size rod/ski holder.  I can get 4 conventional surf rods and 2 spinning rods on there, but it is tight.

Been running Thule ski racks very similar to those pictured above for 10+ years. Great for transporting, not great for security but you can lock the racks while you run into a store or have a bite. I don't have pick up, but I've seen plenty of them running the same system on their pick up trucks (rods facing backwards).

Depends if you have a cap on back of your truck. I have my rails and rack near the back of the my truck cap and rods point forward. Rods don't go past the front of my truck. Lock them up and and they are safe. 

IMG_3180.jpg

33 mins ago, dmatt said:

Depends if you have a cap on back of your truck. I have my rails and rack near the back of the my truck cap and rods point forward. Rods don't go past the front of my truck. Lock them up and and they are safe. 

IMG_3180.jpg

Fine looking set-up, probably be easier to steal the whole enchilada than to break the vault style tube racks. Most locks where they attach to the roof rails aren't as sturdy as they could be, thus the weakest point is where to be concerned. Great for transporting though and they deter most thieves in many places. Quick stops at B &T's, fast food,  parking lots, etc. are the places where rods/reels usually get heisted. 

if they want it bad enough it doesn't matter what you have holding it down. it's a shame can't walk into a restaurant or local pub without worrying about your gear

1 hour ago, dmatt said:

IMG_3180.jpg

I wish I could get one of these rac a rods, but he's not making them at the moment

34 mins ago, dtracy43 said:

if they want it bad enough it doesn't matter what you have holding it down. it's a shame can't walk into a restaurant or local pub without worrying about your gear

it's true. thieves and drug smugglers are some of the most creative inventors and technicians around.

On 8/23/2021 at 5:58 PM, dtracy43 said:

I wish I could get one of these rac a rods, but he's not making them at the moment

If you search for Rac-A-Rod or Reel Fortress, they are sometimes available second hand.

It is also possible to modify one half of a Rhino Rack (or similar) to remove the rubber padding and Incorporate long, notched Aluminum Tubes that the locking bar would come down on in front of the reel,  The tube would block access to the reel seat, thus preventing removal of the reel from the rod.

Edited by FlatWing