cheech

Hobie clearance sale ???

33 posts in this topic

Definitely not a scam... Especially when you consider the fact that you can't find anything related to the outdoors for a decent price right now.

Screenshot_20210811-073837.jpg.b8fe1d0977de26d91050effe19ac6848.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

They got NO info from me except my name and address. If it’s a scam, it’s PayPals problem. 

Edited by cheech

4 mins ago, tj7501 said:

That seems legit. You should definitely put in your personal and financial information on that website.

What could ever go wrong?:laugh:

1 hour ago, cheech said:

PayPal has been contacted and is stopping payment. It all seemed legit, the seller is not Hobie.

Wait, you weren’t joking?

Posted (edited) · Report post

20 mins ago, Sportsmun said:

Really?

I’ll sell mine for brand new $50.00 shipped to your door. PM your credit card information.

Do you take PayPal, ha ha

Edited by cheech

5 hours ago, cheech said:

PayPal has been contacted and is stopping payment. It all seemed legit, the seller is not Hobie.

Lucky you. I made a similar dumb purchase with the understanding that PayPal would have my back when it went south. After about five minutes of thought, I figured it wasn't worth dealing with for something that was almost certainly a scam. I couldn't cancel the payment because the seller was verified, I couldn't contact the seller because they posted a non-working email, and PayPal has no option to report a scam, so I called it a billing dispute. PayPal apparently doesn't consider a scam a billing dispute, because they denied my claim and two appeals, including a one with a screenshot of a warning from the actual company about this exact same fake seller.

So, I don't use PayPal any more, which used to be about weekly. I'm going to file a criminal complaint against the seller, and see if that jars anything loose.

31 mins ago, ermghoti said:

Lucky you. I made a similar dumb purchase with the understanding that PayPal would have my back when it went south. After about five minutes of thought, I figured it wasn't worth dealing with for something that was almost certainly a scam. I couldn't cancel the payment because the seller was verified, I couldn't contact the seller because they posted a non-working email, and PayPal has no option to report a scam, so I called it a billing dispute. PayPal apparently doesn't consider a scam a billing dispute, because they denied my claim and two appeals, including a one with a screenshot of a warning from the actual company about this exact same fake seller.

So, I don't use PayPal any more, which used to be about weekly. I'm going to file a criminal complaint against the seller, and see if that jars anything loose.

Write to PayPal and say that you will be filing a complaint with the MA Attorney General's Office - Consumer Division against PayPal for verifying and allowing PayPal use by a known scammer. That should do it.

26 mins ago, tj7501 said:

Write to PayPal and say that you will be filing a complaint with the MA Attorney General's Office - Consumer Division against PayPal for verifying and allowing PayPal use by a known scammer. That should do it.

That's on my list too. I kicked around the idea of including them on the criminal complaint, but that strikes me as reaching.