Fades anyone?

Rate this topic

Scold

Fades are to me some of the best looking wraps ever! I've done very basic going from one color to a second, but I don't really understand the manipulations involved in working with the multiple colors. It actually seems easier to me to do a fade chevron or diamond because each thread is separate?

Anyway, really appreciate the pictures and workmanship!

2 hours ago, Mangomania said:

Fades are to me some of the best looking wraps ever! I've done very basic going from one color to a second, but I don't really understand the manipulations involved in working with the multiple colors. It actually seems easier to me to do a fade chevron or diamond because each thread is separate?

Anyway, really appreciate the pictures and workmanship!

Thanks for the kind words man. Every fade I posted above is just going from one color to another. I have done fades where I’m wrapping more than one color at a time (a faded tiger where the blue changed  from a lighter shade on one end to a darker on the other) but that’s not what you see in my original post. If you can do one color to another, you can do anything you see above. 

I'm looking at the wrap that goes through green, pink, purple, orange, blue.  Does some of the thread come off spools on your wrapper with the other colors added by hand just as lengths of thread?  Is each series of color it's own wrap?

I've looked at a few Youtube videos but haven't found anything that really explains it well to (slow) me.

6 hours ago, Mangomania said:

I'm looking at the wrap that goes through green, pink, purple, orange, blue.  Does some of the thread come off spools on your wrapper with the other colors added by hand just as lengths of thread?  Is each series of color it's own wrap?

I've looked at a few Youtube videos but haven't found anything that really explains it well to (slow) me.

That one is done with one inlay thread for the first 3 parts of the fade and then I switch spools.  Lets take the green fade for example.  Starting at the dark green end, I did 10 wraps of dark green thread, and then a single inlay of the medium green (with a long, cut piece of thread off of the spool). 8 wraps of dark green, 2 wraps of medium green (from the long tag end left from first inlay), 5 wraps dark green, 3 of medium green, 3 wraps of dark green and then i switch to the medium green spool while leaving a long tag end of the dark green, then I do 5 wraps of medium green, 2 of dark green from that tag end, 8 of medium green, 1 of dark green, 10 of medium green and then the pattern just starts again with the next color in the fade.  Below is the particular pattern I used written out. It goes up and down when you read it (10 --> 1 --> 8 --> 2 --> 5 --> 3 etc)

Dark Green:  10, 8, 5, 3, 2, 1

Med Green:    1, 2, 3  5, 8, 10

Edited by Scold

2 hours ago, RKG1 said:

Beautiful!.  I really like the Mexican blanket one.  What kind and size thread are you using?  Do you coat with color preserver if using regular nylon?

Thanks man.  Everything on that serape rod was done with madeira 40wt polyneon except the first overwrap and the trims of white and black (Gudebrod NCP white and Voodoo black coal respectively).  The underwrap and the serape blanket fade got color preserver. The first overwrap did not get color preserver and I used a gudebrod ncp thread that is kind of a mauve purple maroon'ish color. Then the 2nd overwrap went on which did get CP. 

My order of operations on this rod (and most of my builds):

buttwrap and underwraps, apply color preserver, one coat of finish and let cure, then first overwraps, one coat of finish and let cure, then 2nd overwraps with color preserver, 2-3 coats of finish over that and then we're done.  I never use CP on my first overwraps as it prevents the finish from filling in that air channel that is created near the guide foot.  

Edited by Scold

3 hours ago, Scold said:

That one is done with one inlay thread for the first 3 parts of the fade and then I switch spools.  Lets take the green fade for example.  Starting at the dark green end, I did 10 wraps of dark green thread, and then a single inlay of the medium green (with a long, cut piece of thread off of the spool). 8 wraps of dark green, 2 wraps of medium green (from the long tag end left from first inlay), 5 wraps dark green, 3 of medium green, 3 wraps of dark green and then i switch to the medium green spool while leaving a long tag end of the dark green, then I do 5 wraps of medium green, 2 of dark green from that tag end, 8 of medium green, 1 of dark green, 10 of medium green and then the pattern just starts again with the next color in the fade.  Below is the particular pattern I used written out. It goes up and down when you read it (10 --> 1 --> 8 --> 2 --> 5 --> 3 etc)

Dark Green:  10, 8, 5, 3, 2, 1

Med Green:    1, 2, 3  5, 8, 10

Thank you!