Blazer1185

Plug chips

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Clear Nail polish like the other dude said, Or you could throw some epoxy on there which would probably hold up better. Nail polish would be quicker and easier however.

Depends on if or how the plug was sealed at all.  Some sealers penetrate more than an inch on end grain.  Hard as nails works, but a coat of epoxy over the whole plug is your best bet if it’s really chewed up.  Make sure you let the plug dry for a week or two before coating.

53 mins ago, Haycreekrambler said:

Hard as nails is what I use too.

`FYI:  Hard as Nails (sometimes abbreviated as "HaN") is a line of nail polish made by Sally Hansen, in many colors and formulations.  When most of us refer to HaN, we mean the clear topcoat (at least I do), but any color would probably work just as well.

Clear topcoat is offered by almost every manufacturer and brand of nail polish, inc. Maybelline, Revlon, et al, so just bum whatever brand your wife/mom/GF/other has on hand if you're in a rush, they'll all do the trick.

I have found that the quick drying formulations (e.g., "Insta-Dri" by Sally Hansen, "TopSpeed" by Revlon, Maybelline's ""EXPRESSFINISH", etc.) don't adhere as well, nor last as long as their "normal" counterparts (probably due to their incorporation of higher volatility solvents).  

HTH

11 hours ago, Blazer1185 said:

Im not sure if this is the correct thread but i have a bunch of wood plugs that have chips down into the wood what is the best way to seal the chips thanks

I will remove all the hardware and I would fully submerge the entire plug in outdoor polyurethane for about 6 hours and hanging up and let it drip dry, that will probably take a week or more just to be safe.

If you're not going to paint it three four days five days you'll be fine. 

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

If it’s a finicky plug like a darter, I WOULD NOT recommend coating the whole plug in something like epoxy or Poly.  You risk changing or killing the plugs action altogether.

I always viewed plugs as consumables.

If it gets chewed on and nicked up, then, it’s doing it’s job.

The one time that I tried to repair an old battle worn, high catching, wooden plug, it stopped producing for me as soon as I repainted it.

Never again.

Use your plugs, wear them out and then get new ones.

Is a spot like this too big to just slap nail polish on? I see the above recommendations of coating with epoxy, does that require removing the existing top coat? 

0A317244-8340-4D79-9464-6748DBAAD747.jpeg

6 hours ago, fishing addict said:

Is a spot like this too big to just slap nail polish on? I see the above recommendations of coating with epoxy, does that require removing the existing top coat? 

Use 2 ton on that 

7 hours ago, fishing addict said:

0A317244-8340-4D79-9464-6748DBAAD747.jpegNail polish or hard as nails. Let it dry overnight or overday and fish it. Like it was mentioned, they are going to get beat and chipped. I know I am going to get some flak over this but don’t worry so much about it. If you have the time like in the off season then yeah, put a little more time into it. But if it is fishing time, hard as nails and back into the rotation. 

13 hours ago, fishing addict said:

You could go with a dab of epoxy or a total recoat since the rest looks good just a light coating with some heat will make it like new.

JUst the spot,a tiny dab and abic lighter it heat it and spread it evenly,,,,steady hand and easy with the lighter,blow on on it to cool it and slow lit from running,stay level.

HH

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 1/23/2022 at 10:48 AM, fishing addict said:

Looking at it zoomed in clear hard as nails would be many much easier.

Since I build I would have gave it a full,light recoat,the rest of the plug looks new.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter