srm413

home defender shotgun

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

On 8/18/2021 at 10:15 PM, fishweewee said:

my vote goes to mossberg 500.

reliable and easy to use.

where it has an edge over the remmy 870 is the placement of the safety.  the mossy's safety is much easier to manipulate.

I like the finish of the earlier 870's (moot now) and the fact that they dont rattle as much  500's slide/barrs do (not important), also the 500 barrel nut precludes extended mag (a problem that has been solved with a new model or an $ extension) but I prefer the top safety placement of the 500 and for me its a deal breaker.  

The M4 is $1800 at Cabelas - ridiculous! The Moss shakes and rattles due to large tolerances  , I still believe for over $1000 less than the M4 and no noisey rattling(your gun of any type should never RATTLE) the 870 is a no brainer. Several people stated the safety location - top instead of side is what makes the Mossburg thier choice . I just don't see it as your index finger passes over the safety to get to the trigger on a 870. It doesn't matter to me what you buy , I just hate to see you get a weapon for self defense thats seriously over priced or shabby. There's a bunch of shotgun's out there for alot of money if you want to spend that much money. Companies add Tactical in front of any thing and double the price.

I'm not saying the Benelli sucks not at all. That price sucks the gun is great. If some one wants to spend $1800 for a shotgun have at it. I'm looking at a $1000 Ruger red label or $800 CZ over unders for bird hunting. I will use that gun all Fall and Winter and get many hours of enjoyment out of it whichever one I get. To me $1000 is alot of money to spend on a shotgun but maybe the guy who is looking for a home defense shotgun makes much more then I do and $1800 is no big deal . I was just stating for many years the 870 was the most widely used Military and Police shotgun for several reasons. Price and reliability are some of those reasons. If those guys think it's a good choice for life or death situations that should hold some weight. Also in regard to my opinion of Mossbergs you shouldn't have to put rubber bands around a gun -EVER. If those parts are so obviously loose what else is not up to par?  I'm not trying to argue here just my experience of carrying and shooting a wide variety of shotguns over 35 years. I've shot $10,000 shotguns that were a dream to shoot but I would never pay that much for a shotgun.

On 9/1/2021 at 8:03 PM, devince said:

I'm not saying the Benelli sucks not at all I'm looking at a $1000 Ruger red label or $800 CZ over unders for bird hunting. I will use that gun all Fall and Winter and get many hours of enjoyment out of it whichever one I get. 

Love my CZ Teal. Used to be able to get them for $600 around Father's Day and Black Friday. Now $699 is as low as they go. $849 regular price.

Cabelas/Bass Pro only.

I might be in the minority on this one.  Yes, I'll spend a considerable amount of money for a High Power accurate Rifle, a Performance Center Revolver, a fine 1911 but, for whatever reason, a Shotgun remains a tool.  I don't set out to abuse any firearm however a fence line scratch/dent, etc just means character.

Some of this discussion should be based on your budget.  For my part, $750 is the ceiling for a shotty...especially when you consider how many Shotguns are job specific.

That said, I appreciate someone's desire to own an example of the best.  Especially enjoy when they're generous enough to allow me a rounds downrange!

I'm trying something different for my Mossberg 500. I ordered a adapter to fit a AR15 buttstock & pistol grip.  At one time I had a folding Butler Creek stock. I liked it but that wire stock hurt like hell on my face.  Mossberg used to have a 500 called the Turkey Tactical. 20in Vent Rib barrel w/ accuchoke & a AR15 Buttstock.  I have this barrel on my 500 already, so it's been done before.  

I don't do alot of wingshooting. Mostly stalking & waiting. I shoot it more like a rifle.  

I like the angle of the pistol grip while I'm sitting.   The safety I just operate with my other hand.  

The adjustable stock will come in handy too.   Hopefully the drop is adequate.    

We'll see.  It'll be here soon...

Got the adapter a few mins ago.  Slapped it all together.  

Fits me like a glove!  

It'll be nice to collaspe the stock & throw it on my back when fishing & hunting. I've got a few spots that are dual purpose. 

Next, I gotta DIY some mini shells with No.4 shot.  My 500 will hold 9 minishells. Thats enough for a day in the woods. 

Still really light too. With my 20in barrel. I'd guess 6lbs +/-  

Also need to put a short rail on the handguard. For my TLR1.  Then I'll use it for HD & Camping. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

On 8/29/2021 at 8:49 PM, devince said:

The M4 is $1800 at Cabelas - ridiculous! The Moss shakes and rattles due to large tolerances  , I still believe for over $1000 less than the M4 and no noisey rattling(your gun of any type should never RATTLE) the 870 is a no brainer. Several people stated the safety location - top instead of side is what makes the Mossburg thier choice . I just don't see it as your index finger passes over the safety to get to the trigger on a 870. It doesn't matter to me what you buy , I just hate to see you get a weapon for self defense thats seriously over priced or shabby. There's a bunch of shotgun's out there for alot of money if you want to spend that much money. Companies add Tactical in front of any thing and double the price.

Ah to each his own. The M4 is a work of art, they don't come much better, enjoy it Quest. I have a nice Beretta 1201FP, bought in the late 80's. It's basically an M1 super90. 18in cyl bore barrel, ghost rings, pistol grip, side saddle and surefire light on the foregrip. Inertia driven gun, I've tried to get it to malfunction, it won't. Even with a full side saddle and flashlight it never failed to cycle even low brass loads. A real combat shotgun then and still now. That said I still trust my 870 for home defense first.