srm413

home defender shotgun

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

Remington is starting to ship some guns under the new owners and the QC is a lot better now , But if you can find a 1970's 1980's used Wingmaster you'll be a lot better off then with the Express version of the last several years , The 870 Police guns were made to a higher standard because they were intended to be used in true life or death situations . Mossberg 590 military is another true defense gun , I have a few 870 Police guns because it has to work , If a gun malfunctions or brakes and you miss a duck or pheasant no big deal but if has to defend you and your family then it is a big deal . 

Still good, when you can find them. I always liked the Remi 870's better, steel recievers. Mossies are good also, but I still like my Remies better. But they all make the bad guy go OUCH! I think when I was in the Army, they used Remi auto's for the point guy's. I think they were open choke or cylinder bore, with aload of military 00 buck, they could sweep a good size area. They are deadly, this is why our enemys always saied we didn't play fair useing them.lol

Mine is a older 870 20ga. 

21in vent rib barrel with choke tubes.  Put the Rem factory folder on it last year.    Has a Choate +3 mag extension. 

Fed 3in premium No.2 buck. 

nYi2kL9.jpg.ef6ee899221c0951eb8ad8c9cc7393ed.jpg

When I bought the stock I thought reg magpul rail would fit but it needed a Mlok piece so I had some inner tube for a light mount till the mlok piece came in

Edited by PSegnatelli

Don't think Remington is making shotguns right now.  Look on used racks.  

Go with 20ga.  It's lighter, faster handling. Something you want if this will strictly be a home defense gun.  In the 10-90' realm,  the 20ga will do anything a 12ga will do.  The bad guys won't know the difference.  

The safety button on a Remington is by the trigger guard. On a Mossberg it's on top to be pushed by your thumb.  Handle both see which one you prefer.  

Do not get a pistol grip shotgun. They are a handful when firing it.  Takes lots of practice to keep it under control.  A shouldered gun is much more accurate them a gun fired from the hip.  Easier to control as well.  

14 mins ago, LBI SurfRat said:

Don't think Remington is making shotguns right now.  Look on used racks.  

Go with 20ga.  It's lighter, faster handling. Something you want if this will strictly be a home defense gun.  In the 10-90' realm,  the 20ga will do anything a 12ga will do.  The bad guys won't know the difference.  

The safety button on a Remington is by the trigger guard. On a Mossberg it's on top to be pushed by your thumb.  Handle both see which one you prefer.  

Do not get a pistol grip shotgun. They are a handful when firing it.  Takes lots of practice to keep it under control.  A shouldered gun is much more accurate them a gun fired from the hip.  Easier to control as well.  

Sound advice, except to add that a pistol grip can be nice at taming recoil for a shooter for whom thats an issue PROVIDED it has a shoulder stock as well.  

Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 4.08.50 PM.png

Good info here. I’ve been looking for a shotgun. Looking at least online at Mossberg 590A1. Maybe the retrograde version. I’d rather have the pump action and more ammo. Friend of mine recently got a Benelli M4.  Paid some ridiculous price for it.  Since we are in lousy NJ the non pistol grip version. He loves it. I haven’t shot it yet. 

4 hours ago, 40shades-of-blue said:

Good info here. I’ve been looking for a shotgun. Looking at least online at Mossberg 590A1. Maybe the retrograde version. I’d rather have the pump action and more ammo. Friend of mine recently got a Benelli M4.  Paid some ridiculous price for it.  Since we are in lousy NJ the non pistol grip version. He loves it. I haven’t shot it yet. 

You can get pistol grip on a pump gun. Those dumb ass laws apply 

only to semiautomatic firearms.  

5 mins ago, Jimichanga said:

Should put a light on it.

mostly-they-mostly-come-at-night.gif

First and foremost, doesn't matter if its a pistol, rifle or pump.

Put a light on it.

Edited by Sandbar1