jjdbike

Fave commercial BBQ rubs?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I know, just as easy to put a rub together yourself. Well, almost as easy. Something extra convenient about grabbing a premixed shaker, similar to pre made sauces.

I like Meat Church Honey Hog for Boston Butt and John Henry's East Texas Beef Brisket rub for beef. Looking to smoke some chickens this weekend for pulled barbecue chicken sandwiches & wondering what to use. I'm also going to try making a Louisiana white sauce

Anyone like Killer Hogs "The Rub" and or A.P. Rub? 

Anyone have any other favorites?

Thanks in advance!

JD

Add A hint of chocolate powder or instant coffee/espresso for some thing a little different …Costco mesquite rub if you can find it …I prefer to keep it kind of simple …Johnny triggs uses a commercial rub ..just get them cooked and on the table with a hint of your favorite rub and they will disappear …may not even need sauce ….

Posted (edited) · Report post

I used to make all my own rubs but lately I've been trying to switch it up.  I really like a lot of spiceology's line of rubs.  Sasquatch BBQ "Moss" is excellent and versatile and would be my top recommendation for something different.

Also, I agree with surf bomber.  A good coffee rub on pork is a combo that can't be beat.  I make mine using finely ground coffee beans from a local roaster, a bit of cocoa powder, & ancho chili powder (along with the other typical ingredients like brown sugar, garlic, salt, and pepper).

As far as the ones you mentioned, I think the AP rub is pretty much just SPG (salt pepper garlic) so I personally don't see the need to buy it.  Also, I think "The Rub" will be very similar to meat church honey hog so I think you've got that flavor profile covered.

Edited by sbcbmx112

I love the Sam Jones Love Potion # Swine. You can buy it from their website or make your own. 

RUB POTION NUMBER SWINE RECIPE (from Sam Jones/Skylight Inn)

Makes 1 3\4 cups 

Ingredients: 

1/2 cup paprika

1/2 cup light brown sugar 

1⁄4 cup salt

1⁄8 cup ground black peppers

1⁄8 cup garlic powder

1⁄8 cup ground mustard 

1⁄8 cup chili powder

1/2 tablespoon onion powder

1 tablespoons cayenne pepper

(Try adding 1/4 to 1/2 cup MSG)

Directions:

In a bowl, mix all the ingredients together well with a whisk or with gloved hands. Toss generously on any barbecue you cook, except the whole hog. Any remaining rub can be stored in a sealed container in a cool, dry place for several months.

I've been using alot of killer hogs stuff this year.

I have some apple stuff from pepper palace I just ordered I'm gonna try next.

Killer Hog's lineup is absolutely fantastic. He has stated on his podcast that there are some ingredients not listed on the jars and I believe that. Use his AP rub on everything as a base layer than choose between the others for a second layer/bark.

I also used to buy bulk spices at a specialty middle eastern shop, toast and grind and all that.  But with a very busy family life at the moment I've been relying on what's in the supermarket.

They occasionally blow-out the McCormick's spice blends (usually called "perfect pinch") on a two for one.  I'm not huge on the Montreal Steak or Chicken or other "BBQ" rubs/blends, but the ones I grab and use on the regular are:

Lemon pepper.  This is the best one, I use it on ribs all the time.

Asian blend.  This is good on ribs (and in a pulled pork and noodle soup).

Roasted garlic and red pepper.

Cajun blend.

On 8/9/2021 at 11:06 PM, DerrickT said:

I've been using alot of killer hogs stuff this year.

I have some apple stuff from pepper palace I just ordered I'm gonna try next.

That’s one I need to check out.

On 8/10/2021 at 0:37 PM, Little said:

SweetnHeat_LRG.jpg

A thin layer of an "SPG"-I use Lawrys, and this on top.

Sounds great. I love heat. Most of my family can’t take it though.

On 10/22/2021 at 9:01 AM, Legitnick said:

Killer Hog's lineup is absolutely fantastic. He has stated on his podcast that there are some ingredients not listed on the jars and I believe that. Use his AP rub on everything as a base layer than choose between the others for a second layer/bark.

I will certainly check it out.

On 10/22/2021 at 0:19 PM, Midnightpass said:

I've had good luck with Dizzy Pigs rubs... I especially like "Tsunami Spin" on chicken.. https://dizzypigbbq.com/product/tsunami-spin/ ... I'm a big fan of IPA beers, so I need to give this a try... https://dizzypigbbq.com/product/ipa-hop-seasoning/ ...

Butch

I’ve heard several people brag on dizzy dust.

i do like Meat Church Honey Hog on butts.

I made my own version of Myron Mixon’s brisket rub. It was pretty good.

JD

On 8/9/2021 at 11:24 AM, sbcbmx112 said:

I used to make all my own rubs but lately I've been trying to switch it up.  I really like a lot of spiceology's line of rubs.  Sasquatch BBQ "Moss" is excellent and versatile and would be my top recommendation for something different.

Also, I agree with surf bomber.  A good coffee rub on pork is a combo that can't be beat.  I make mine using finely ground coffee beans from a local roaster, a bit of cocoa powder, & ancho chili powder (along with the other typical ingredients like brown sugar, garlic, salt, and pepper).

As far as the ones you mentioned, I think the AP rub is pretty much just SPG (salt pepper garlic) so I personally don't see the need to buy it.  Also, I think "The Rub" will be very similar to meat church honey hog so I think you've got that flavor profile covered.

Just saw this. So the AP plus The Rub is basically Meat Church Honey Hog?

On 10/22/2021 at 9:01 AM, Legitnick said:

Thanks again.

On 10/22/2021 at 0:19 PM, Midnightpass said:

I've had good luck with Dizzy Pigs rubs... I especially like "Tsunami Spin" on chicken.. https://dizzypigbbq.com/product/tsunami-spin/ ... I'm a big fan of IPA beers, so I need to give this a try... https://dizzypigbbq.com/product/ipa-hop-seasoning/ ...

Butch

hey Butch, have you tried Dizzy Dust? If so, what's that like? I have a cooking teacher who likes it and a student  who shoots a lot of game and loves it on everything.

JD

6 hours ago, jjdbike said:

hey Butch, have you tried Dizzy Dust? If so, what's that like? I have a cooking teacher who likes it and a student  who shoots a lot of game and loves it on everything.

JD

Jim... It's been awhile since I used it, but as best that I can remember, I liked it, but I can't really remember exactly how it taste... I bought a combo pack from Dizzy Pig, to save on shipping cost, and was really blown away with the Tsunami Spin on chicken... Their rubs are good quality, without a bunch of crap thrown in... I wouldn't be opposed to getting more of the Dizzy Dust, especially if you can find it local, and not have to pay shipping... Give it a shot and let me know what you think...

Butch