AudAtkins

NEED ADVICE

32 posts in this topic

So this sucks, I have a 2011 Jeep Liberty, I got a yakima rod rack on it, I got an OME 2" lift on it, I got a $700 pioneer radio with car play, upgraded wheels and tires. Im done paying the truck off in 2 months. I broke down cold in Montauk, they replaced my alternator and told me my computer had to be flashed. I towed my car to the dealership, they screwed me, I drove it to my mechanic. I got a new computer, radiator, battery, hoses, belt, brakes and rotor. All in I'm $4,200. Ive had my car back for a few weeks. I drove it the longest I've had (40 miles) now a check engine/transmission solenoid code went off. Mechanic said its either a $250 fix or a $3,000 fix. I drive so much to chase fish, I love my truck, I now have nightmares and stress, I'm about to get a tacoma or something but I'm done paying the car off in 2 months, would love to avoid another 5 years of payments but I need something reliable. I'm not sure what to do, would love any insight thank you.

Do you have the exact code for the solenoid? 

Luckily, solenoids are pretty straight forward to change; drain oil, drop tranny pan, then drop the valve body.  Your solenoids are on top of the valve body.  Might as well replace them all while you have the VB out.  I doubt you would need a rebuild...

I've worked on quite a few Jeeps and the '08 -'12s are filled with electrical gremlins. 

You can't beat the reliability of a Toyota, but that depends what your budget is (cheaper to fix your current vehicle versus new Toyota)

16 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

Do you have the exact code for the solenoid? 

Luckily, solenoids are pretty straight forward to change; drain oil, drop tranny pan, then drop the valve body.  Your solenoids are on top of the valve body.  Might as well replace them all while you have the VB out.  I doubt you would need a rebuild...

I've worked on quite a few Jeeps and the '08 -'12s are filled with electrical gremlins. 

You can't beat the reliability of a Toyota, but that depends what your budget is (cheaper to fix your current vehicle versus new Toyota)

Thanks for answering. I do not know the exact code. My mechanic is super busy of course, I haven't heard anything from him. Now my girl and I are locked up due to cover exposure. Fun times. I would love to keep my car and enjoy some time with zero payments. Hoping for the best. I'll keep you posted 

I have a 2012 Jeep Liberty. I have 76 k on her. So far just a water pump at 68k. Knock on wood. I love the truck, it's paid off also. But I keep this Jeep maintained like it was a  religion. I was in the auto business for 34 years. Remember it's still cheaper to rebuild them than to have a huge payment for 5 to 7 years. I ment if an engine goe's , then you have to decide if you want a rebuilt one of an aftermarket one, same for the trans. Everything else can be replaced. You have to decide. For me ,I always had a Toyo Taco 4x4. I bought the Jeep for a very good price, she was 5 grand less than a 4 runner. But if the Jeep goe's south, I'll get aTaco, or a 4 Runner . But it's getting hard to find a real 4x4 Truck, with out buying a p/u truck. I'm not into this fwd, awd bs for the beach, it's all bs. Tight lines.

Eventually it’s going to funnel down to asking  yourself that golden question:
Repeated repair costs and always trying to figure out “what the heck is wrong with it now?”, or a new car payment. Which one is going to be less expensive/less stressful to you in the long run? 

^^ This. good advise. I'm 71 , This is why if the Jeep bites the dust for something major, it's a probably used for me at my age, a Taco p/u or a 4 runner. Major to me is an engine, trans, severe electrical, but most other bs I'll get fixed . But the Liberty uses a good strong trans , the older 4 speed. It's the engine you have to watch, It's your cash, you have to dicide, but another way to look at it . Get rid of it before it bites the dust and causes grey hair's.. But replace it with something strong, I like Toyo's. Some times you have to bite the bullet to stop worry. Tight lines.

Jeep Liberty is a very under rated 4x4. Real transfer case with 4lo, and the traction control on the later models works quite well and you can easily turn it off when needed. I've owned a 2012 for a few years and it was great on the beaches. I did lift it ~2" and put on larger tires, and it was very capable. What led me to finally sell it was the constant electrical gremlins that nobody could figure out. Even on the jeep forums it's all a mystery with no real solution, and there is no availability of parts.

If it's working for you, I would keep it and invest in the repairs for a bit.

Stu C , your right, for the money you can't find a better real 4x4 real SUV. AS for as parts go, I do find what I need from online Chrysler dealers. Nothing major, right noe just window switches antena's, small stuff, but there's plenty of after market hubs, undrer carrage , and suspention systems.  The Liberty will go where ever a stock wrangle will go. I love mine on the beach. your right about the traction controll, off with the push of a button. Some of this fwd crossovers you have to pull a fuse to turn off the tc unit. Stu , didn't you go with a 4 Runner?

Edited by hunter123

Hunter123, no 4 runner. I'm in a GX460 now. But I'm splitting time between Long Island, NY and Raleigh, NC so no time on the beach for now. Will check out OBX once we're settled in Raleigh area.

On 8/8/2021 at 7:37 PM, 98 SNAKE EATER said:

GX470 and don't look back

Beast of a vehicle.  08 or 09.  Can't kill them.   Value has shot up though.  

Edited by Stryper Snyper

I'm still going through the ringer here. After getting my car back I have a transmission code P0765, relating to solenoids. I just got a call from my mechanic that he replaced all of the solenoids and checked all the wires. Its been over 2 months without my car and I'm nearing 6k in repairs. Apparently my TCM and ECU are no communicating and my brand new ECU might be fried again. I am losing it. 

I can't deal with it anymore. I'm leaning towards buying a new car and cutting my losses. I'm leaning towards a Tacoma, Titan, Ford truck, not sure, just starting to do some serious research before I sign up to another 3-5 year financial commitment. I'm open to anymore advice or suggestions. Thank you all. This has been a hell of a summer, hope to be back on the road soon. I've been driving a 1998 GMC with no gauges on the dash, no AC, no radio, busted brakes and a shaking front end, my boss lent it to me to do me a solid. 

6K in repairs on a 10 year old mini Jeep is plain not worth it. How many miles are on it? At this point since your already in to for so much you might as well go the distance with it. 

im not brand loyal but I would not spend a nickel on a Toyota. They are over rated and cost more than any other vehicle. Yes they are reliable but so is every other car out there that is maintained. I can’t remember a vehicle that I had that didn’t go over 200K and that included a 1968 Pontiac bonneville. After 200k I always felt it was time for an upgrade in the creature comfort department. 

It just kept snowballing. I was camping in Montauk and my battery light came on then my radio went off then my car shut down. I got a new alternator and tow in MTK for $800. Then I got a free tow to the dealership where they changed a wiring harness and gave me a new battery, that was $1100 gave me my car back with my battery light on, I drove it straight to my mechanic where every check engine light came on and my car died at my mechanic bc I got it out of the dealer ASAP. I had a leaking radiator, so I got that done, new belt and hoses, rear brakes and rotors, I apparently fried my ECU and starter and brand new battery driving from the dealer to my mechanic. So I got a new computer stater and battery.  All that was $1800. 

It has a 128k miles on it. No problems in 4 and a half years. I have a 2 inch OME lift on it and a brand new pioneer car play radio in it with a roof rack and AT tires and wheels. I have 2 payments left on it. 

I do a ton of driving MTK 10-15x a year, cape cod, Maine, RI

Edited by AudAtkins
wrong info