gellfex

Is a $300 day on a halibut 6 pack really worth it?

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

My family and I took a three week trip to Alaska two summers ago. Our halibut/rockfish trip was about 10 days in.  The fish processing and handling throughout Alaska are top notch. We chartered a boat just for us and the mate filleted all of the halibut/rockfish as we got in. They transported it to the local fish processor who vacuum packed and froze everything within the hour.  The day we were leaving we were able to arrange to have that 50 pound box shipped to the airport which also has on site freezer storage. We checked that as baggage. My son and I also did a fly in salmon trip. Same experience. The outfit we fished with filleted everything. We took it in a cooler to a fish processor who vacuum packed everything for us and had on site freezer storage.  When we left town two days later we brought it with us and found another place where we could pay for on site freezer storage. When it came time to fly out, we brought that to the airport with us and placed it in there on site freezer storage. That also was checked in as baggage and arrived at my house rock solid.  We ate the halibut and rockfish until it was all gone one year later. My wife is the only one who likes salmon and the king salmon we caught was far superior to any salmon she has ever tried in a restaurant.  She ate that for eight months until it was gone.

The short version is definitely go fishing. If you want to keep your catch, there are plenty of options where it will arrive back to your house in top quality shape.  The scenery will be amazing and as stated the halibut will fight like an overgrown fluke.  

I am pretty sure we also did the ice climbing on the glacier where your son guides out of. Another amazing experience and as stated when talking with our guide they live in some rough conditions.  Hope he is getting tipped well, I know ours made for an amazing experience

1 hour ago, savfish said:

I am pretty sure we also did the ice climbing on the glacier where your son guides out of. Another amazing experience and as stated when talking with our guide they live in some rough conditions.  Hope he is getting tipped well, I know ours made for an amazing experience

Glad to hear it. Do you remember if it was MICA guides? Yes, he occasionally makes hundreds a day in tips, but not usually. He's smart and outgoing, so he can keep up an interesting patter for the customers. He's probably the only Environmental Science BS who ever took his Glacial Geology final exam actually on a glacier, he had to bugout to AK before school was over. 

Another day at the office for him...

610dbb70751ac_ADaminMoulan.PNG.0ff18d64da3d03edd43ccad75c5224b6.PNG

610dbc1e4de1c_glaciercustomers.PNG.89be78f1f01c393e33c31dc8347e5828.PNG

7 hours ago, gellfex said:

That's why my catch is being donated to the glacier guides camp staff, I don't need to haul fish back to NJ, I already have plenty of fish in the freezer. Can you imagine eating halibut every week all year?

I would not mind.

1 min ago, snapper1 said:

I would not mind.

Don't you think it would be a little sad it not being at all special? Just the 15# or so of wahoo we had lost it's specialness.

MICA guides - yes! It was an amazing 6 hr hike with stunning scenery.  I think we did the intermediate hike , four hours into it and I was comfortable enough with them to do a bit of rappelling lol.  Guides were extremely knowledgeable. Enjoy your time in Alaska.

2 hours ago, savfish said:

MICA guides - yes! It was an amazing 6 hr hike with stunning scenery.  I think we did the intermediate hike , four hours into it and I was comfortable enough with them to do a bit of rappelling lol.  Guides were extremely knowledgeable. Enjoy your time in Alaska.

Awesome! Was it in the last 3 years and was your guide Adam? Not all the guides do the ice climbing, it takes specialized training.

On 8/5/2021 at 8:13 PM, gellfex said:

Yeah, but I've rarely paid anyone to take me fishing and it doesn't sit well, especially paying someone to stick a hooked up rod in my hands. I had to crap or get off the pot since time is short so I booked a combo halibut and rockfish trip. At least the rockfish will feel like fishing to me. A whole day for a 2 halibut limit seemed wrong. And look at this pic from a charter site, some of those are hardly bigger than a keeper fluke!

daze_off_2017_1.jpg

They took them guys to the Chicken Ranch.......

On 8/6/2021 at 11:12 AM, Richard_the_Aughth said:

If you go to Alaska for fishing, and catch a lot of fish, how do you consume it all? From one of the pictures in this thread, it looks like they freezer pack it for you, but how do you get it home? Or is the idea to eat everything you catch while there?

FedEx overnight, shipped through their freezer hub in Tennessee.

We shipped over 500 pounds of mixed king salmon, lingcod, halibut, and rockfish, along with some smoked sockeye, that way.

On 8/6/2021 at 11:53 AM, gellfex said:

That's why my catch is being donated to the glacier guides camp staff, I don't need to haul fish back to NJ, I already have plenty of fish in the freezer. Can you imagine eating halibut every week all year?

Been there, done that.

Actually, only three times per week, and it was mixed up with salmon, lingcod, and rockfish.  But it did last for a year.