gellfex

Is a $300 day on a halibut 6 pack really worth it?

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Visiting Alaska next week. Can't book a salmon trip and I'm ambivalent about a halibut trip for $300. seems kinda boring from what I hear. Talk me into it?

EDIT: combo halibut/rockfish full day booked.

Edited by gellfex

5 mins ago, DAQ said:

Between not fish and fish, I will choose fish every time.

Yeah, but I've rarely paid anyone to take me fishing and it doesn't sit well, especially paying someone to stick a hooked up rod in my hands. I had to crap or get off the pot since time is short so I booked a combo halibut and rockfish trip. At least the rockfish will feel like fishing to me. A whole day for a 2 halibut limit seemed wrong. And look at this pic from a charter site, some of those are hardly bigger than a keeper fluke!

daze_off_2017_1.jpg

1 min ago, giant basshole said:

How often do you get to Alaska, seems like it would be worth300$ just to get out on the water.

Doin some other water stuff, but I hear you.

27 mins ago, gellfex said:

Yeah, but I've rarely paid anyone to take me fishing and it doesn't sit well, especially paying someone to stick a hooked up rod in my hands. I had to crap or get off the pot since time is short so I booked a combo halibut and rockfish trip. At least the rockfish will feel like fishing to me. A whole day for a 2 halibut limit seemed wrong. And look at this pic from a charter site, some of those are hardly bigger than a keeper fluke!

daze_off_2017_1.jpg

Stop trying to evaluate if it’s worth the money or not and just have fun. You’re traveling 1000’s of miles. Enjoy it. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Id say its worth it.Go for it and enjoy yourself.You never know, you might end up  with your limit of 2 over 100lbs each

Edited by Linesider61

I don't know where you are heading to in Alaska but I've always fished the Kenai for salmon and drive another hour for Halibut  at Ninilchik  first the view was spectacular live active volcanoes while traveling to our spot to fish, We fished for several hours trying to catch some barn door no luck so the captain brought us at this sector D spot on our last hour of fishing before coming in and it was on, never saw fishery this good. Every drop of your line was a fish, we were releasing fish 25 lber so we can get something better. to end the day we caught our limits for six an average of 40 lbers. . Now do your math 50 lb of fillets !!! Have fun.

43 mins ago, Linesider61 said:

Id say its worth it.Go for it and enjoy yourself.You never know, you might end up  with your limit of 2 over 100lbs each

I think one has to be under something like 28 in. I don't know how they handle the whole thing. Like if you catch your two early on in the day, you can't keep fishing because if you bring up a monster it's not like they can unhook it for release, them things are dangerous, they shoot them before they gaff them!  Maybe they just cut them loose like a shark. 

4 mins ago, sandworm said:

I don't know where you are heading to in Alaska but I've always fished the Kenai for salmon and drive another hour for Halibut  at Ninilchik  first the view was spectacular live active volcanoes while traveling to our spot to fish, We fished for several hours trying to catch some barn door no luck so the captain brought us at this sector D spot on our last hour of fishing before coming in and it was on, never saw fishery this good. Every drop of your line was a fish, we were releasing fish 25 lber so we can get something better. to end the day we caught our limits for six an average of 40 lbers. . Now do your math 50 lb of fillets !!! Have fun.

Thanks. We'll be in Homer, supposedly the halibut capital of the world. They say the half day halibut fishing they can't get as far where the monsters are, but that's okay by me. Nice to hear that some of them get released. 

I don't think I'm going to bring home fish anyway, just going to donate my catch to the folks at the guiding company where my son is working at the Matanuska glacier. They live rough and work hard.

3 hours ago, gellfex said:

Thanks. We'll be in Homer, supposedly the halibut capital of the world. They say the half day halibut fishing they can't get as far where the monsters are, but that's okay by me. Nice to hear that some of them get released. 

I don't think I'm going to bring home fish anyway, just going to donate my catch to the folks at the guiding company where my son is working at the Matanuska glacier. They live rough and work hard.

You fishing with your son?  If yes, then Absolutely go!

I have very few memories with my father.  So it's a soft spot for me to see dads doin stuff with their kids.  

Alaska is spectacular and I love Homer, particularly the spit; The Salty Dawg Saloon, Eating King Crab on the beach at midnight, Bald Eagles were as common as pigeons.

P.S. by Alaska prices I'm surprised you got a $300 rate. Happy hunting

6 hours ago, gellfex said:

daze_off_2017_1.jpg

300 bucks? seems like chump change looking at those twin Hondas. looks like a sweet setup and a great experience for short money to me