BlackLab1

Rocks and Ledges from Boat

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

ok , You're out in the boat, decent tide ( dropping or incoming), early morning/mid morning, decent wash in the rocks. What are you gonna throw so that you can get down a bit but not snag on the bottom. Gotta land as tight to the rocks as you can...

Just curious.  

Depends on water depth and time of year.

I fish that sort of structure a lot on the Connecticut side of Long Island Sound.  If there's enough water around the stones, I fish a bucktail.  Yes, it snags once in a while, but it also gets down and catches fish.  If you stop your cast in the air and begin the retrieve as soon as the bucktail hits the water, you'd be surprised how shallow you can fish a bucktail with minimal hang-ups.  My first choice when fishing shoreline boulder fields.

If the water around the stones is too shallow for a bucktail, I'll fish a Redfin/Bomber style swimmer.

If the water is warm enough that the fish are looking up, particularly in the half hour or so between first light and sunrise, I often do very well on a pencil popper, usually the 1 oz Gibbs.  Usually pulls up any larger fish in the area, although many of the biggest ones will come up, take one shot, miss, and not come up again.  If there is a late August/early September snapper bite, the pencil popper can work particularly well.

I always fished big 9” slug-go’s rigged weedless and tossed them right up on the rocks and dragged them into the water.  

As mentioned earlier, they’re not going to sink very fast.  You could add some weight to get them down, but I have had plenty of success weightless. 

any large soft plastic with no weight should be ok. If there is current, cast up current and that will help get the lure down a bit more as you reel it in slowly.

I throw 13 inch hogys in real skinny water and usually dont get snagged up.