sidd99

Fox or Bilstein shocks?

6 posts in this topic

Depending on whether you order the TRD Pro or the Limited, you get either Fox shocks or Fox shocks with a reservoir.  Does the distinction matter for beach driving? I suspect not.

It used to be that Bilstein was used in ad literature, apparently for bragging. What's so good about Fox?  Are they any better than Bilsteins? 

I had Bilsteins on my 2004 Taco TRD.  They were part of the TRD package then. I got 80k out of them before I sold the truck. Never had a problem with them off road and the beach. I have regular monroes on my Jeep now, There fine for driving the beach. As long as a shock isn't worn out  there all fine. I have never heard of Fox shocks.

I have had Bilstein 5100s and Fox 2.0s, the Bilstein ride firmer and the bodies are made from steel so they corrode and rust pretty badly, the Foxs ride softer and the bodies are made from aluminum and do not corrode or rust. The Fox are quite a bit more money than the Bilsteins. 

Fox and King are a level above Bilstein, I am not saying every model of Fox is better than Bilstein. Do you want to be able rebuild or tune your shock instead of buying another shock? Have you ridden in a truck with reservoir shocks?

"Shock Tech: IFP Shocks, Remote Reservoir Shocks and Emulsion Shocks"

On 8/5/2021 at 1:05 PM, sidd99 said:

Depending on whether you order the TRD Pro or the Limited, you get either Fox shocks or Fox shocks with a reservoir.  Does the distinction matter for beach driving? I suspect not.

It used to be that Bilstein was used in ad literature, apparently for bragging. What's so good about Fox?  Are they any better than Bilsteins? 

King, Viking are considered the best but pricey. Good thing is these trucks have been around and have plenty of companies making parts. Definitely find one or two Tacoma groups on Facebook tons of info there.

I have Bilstiens on my Chevy, it is so much better of a ride on the beach. especially the entrances to IBSP where it's the worst. I would bounce like crazy with my stock shocks , but with the Bilstiens it's much smoother