Anyone know a retailer of 1/4" marine ply in central to North Jersey?

Rate this topic

gellfex

2 hours ago, gellfex said:

Except that he'd have to pull it out of the hitch every time he wanted to swing open his back gate! Plus it has a fraction the utility of forming a kitchen when opened up.

It slides out 36” for rear vehicle access. Where will the spare tire go?

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

45 mins ago, cheech said:

It slides out 36” for rear vehicle access. Where will the spare tire go?

36 would not clear the swing of the gate, nor would the thing sitting in the space allow the rear of car to be a kitchen areas as he has planned. Spare stays where it is.

I would get an old sailboat trailer and modify it to make the whole thing up. You could do two sides. I've built a dozen dirt bike and such trailers this way. When you go to MVC and fill out the registration form, just make up a number for it. 

What you propose is just a failure waiting to happen. Aerodynamically, weather -wise, gas economy-wise and wear and tear on the vehicle-wise,... just a no go. Think more along the lines of a teardrop travel trailer.  Get the space and function he needs, and the ease of he can can leave it somewhere if need be. 

Oh yeah, and teach him how to pull and back up a trailer.

On 8/5/2021 at 0:52 PM, gellfex said:

Building a storage box for the back of my son's CRV that he's going to live out of. As drawn its 3/4", but aluminum L channel frame and 1/4" ply will be much lighter.

610c16ac9c8fe_BOXRENDERALLOPEN.PNG.e1ac5b745caf1e35245b17b65a9940fd.PNG

I have this, 

download.jpeg

The problems you will have are,

- the significant engineering for the hinge/hitch mount mechanism.

-weight savings leaves you with okoume. Which is not particularly stiff,strong, and rot resistant unless epoxied and topcoated.

6mm sapele is much stronger and rot resistant but, I get okoume 6mm for 70$ here but sapele is almost double that. 

I'll be impressed if you can do it. I just don't think it is possible, in fact, unless the tire it's roof mounted, no class of hitch will allow that much of an extension back.download.jpeg.c26891e587dced304bcd3f13f4725a16.jpeg

Edited by FEW3

Fiberglass.  Set the spare into a well.  Table top could drop outta the well.   Great project whatever you do.   

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

• 2 weeks later...