gellfex

Anyone know a retailer of 1/4" marine ply in central to North Jersey?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Building a storage box for the back of my son's CRV that he's going to live out of. As drawn its 3/4", but aluminum L channel frame and 1/4" ply will be much lighter.

610c16ac9c8fe_BOXRENDERALLOPEN.PNG.e1ac5b745caf1e35245b17b65a9940fd.PNG

So many questions,.... but just looking at your design I would go all metal. Come up with some wicked gaskets and maybe a rain cover. 

1 min ago, Ben Lippen said:

Oh yeah my marine lumberyard doesn't stock 1/4" plywood because they don't make it.

My web searching shows that 6mm Marine is made.  Substituting 1/16 aluminum for 6mm ply is about the same weight but adds hundreds of dollars to the project. 

Keeping water out of a homemade box at highway speed seems futile. I think whatever goes in there needs to be weatherproof on its own.

1 hour ago, gellfex said:

My web searching shows that 6mm Marine is made.

Have you sourced this? Because I'd bet dollars to donuts that even if you could find a manufacturer, it would cost you three times as much for wood. Craziness, "supply chain" , plywood prices, etc. 

Give me a call.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Ben Lippen said:

Have you sourced this? Because I'd bet dollars to donuts that even if you could find a manufacturer, it would cost you three times as much for wood. Craziness, "supply chain" , plywood prices, etc. 

Give me a call.

I found a website boatbuildercentral that has 6mm x 99"x 48" listed for $60. There's a wholesaler here in Carlstadt, Atlantic Plywood, that says though they won't retail to me I can order from them through a retailer like Dykes Lumber.

I've used "aircraft plywood" before in small sheets from hobby stores, it beats 3 layer luan all to hell. really tough strong stuff. I have a 3/16 piece here that 5 layers and amazingly strong.

Edited by gellfex

2 mins ago, cheech said:

Come’on, spend $1000 for DJ.

Except that he'd have to pull it out of the hitch every time he wanted to swing open his back gate! Plus it has a fraction the utility of forming a kitchen when opened up.

6 mins ago, LB said:

Get a Van you could do a lot more to them no need to hang any thing off the back.

The CRV is what he has for now. That's not changing. Graduation present from the little old lady who drove it from new, his granny. He'll drive it into the ground in the next few years wandering all over the country, and then we'll see.

2 hours ago, gellfex said:

I found a website boatbuildercentral that has 6mm x 99"x 48" listed for $60.

Again, I don't believe that price.

Just make the thing out of metal.

Just now, Ben Lippen said:

Again, I don't believe that price.

Just make the thing out of metal.

Have you priced 1/16 6061 aluminum? A 4x4 from Mcmaster is $176! Even finding it cheaper it's still hugely more expensive. I'm a metalworker who hates wood, and it just don't make sense.

Lolol, and I'm a woodworker trying to tell you to use metal.

No, I did not check metal prices, but also did not think that you would find a source for 1/4" acq plywood. 

Go for it, and pictures all the way man.

Tip,... build the box on the ground and then check the weight before you make the swing-arm frame. I'd guess that it would be full of stuff, so ya hafta factor that in. 

I would weigh everything , I do that.

@Ben Lippen My calculations using 1.25x1.25x0.125 aluminum angle and 6mm ply (25# per sheet) is 66lb for the box alone. My metalworkers brain trust over at Old Farts Machinists says to weld the frame, but I think just riveting the frame to the ply will be tremendously strong. It's basically how roadie boxes are made. I can even get those corner caps.