Sal Aqua

I need to catch a fish

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

So... I've been fly fishing for stripers for the past 6 years but nothing, I've never caught anything on the fly. I've deduced it down to my location is bad. Does anyone know any place that is sorta foolproof?

39 mins ago, jayp195 said:

After 6 years of nothing I'd probably chalk it up to operator error.........

:point:

I think you need a few more posts before someone can send you a PM, the site rules do not allow people to name spots.

But i would recommend focusing on where ponds or rivers connect with the ocean, this time of year small bait is going in and out and fish will come into closer water for fly range.  Of course would focus on sunrise and sunset.  Best approach would be to scope out these spots and watch not fish, and learn from what others are doing and what the bait is doing.

45 mins ago, Kooky said:

... Best approach would be to scope out these spots and watch not fish, and learn from what others are doing and what the bait is doing.

That pretty much the advice I was gonna give.

Drive around one evening to all the access spots you can find on a map. Look for other fly fishermen. Watch what they do, where they go, when they go there. If you hang around and be humble, guys will probably offer suggestions. 

If what you're doing doesn't work, I wouldn't wait six years to try something else. 

I'm not tryin' to be a wise-guy......especially on my first post above.  In my opinion, fly-fishing is a major PIA.  Yes! I know many people love it......but head on over to the Saltwater Edge and speak to them.  They have world-class fly guys coming in there day & night, and some may be teachers/guides that can help you out.  It's called "fishing", and not "catching" for a reason.........but after 6 years you've gotta' change your approach.  Tight lines....keep the faith....you'll catch..........and you'll love it and be "HOOKED!!!"

28 mins ago, jayp195 said:

I'm not tryin' to be a wise-guy......especially on my first post above.  In my opinion, fly-fishing is a major PIA.  Yes! I know many people love it......but head on over to the Saltwater Edge and speak to them.  They have world-class fly guys coming in there day & night, and some may be teachers/guides that can help you out.  It's called "fishing", and not "catching" for a reason.........but after 6 years you've gotta' change your approach.  Tight lines....keep the faith....you'll catch..........and you'll love it and be "HOOKED!!!"

I hear ya! I get it, and get why people love it but no thanks.:laugh: