Steve Coleman

shark bite in oc

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Sure am glad that the brave youngster seems to be ok and is not too shook up.
Sorry that she had such a bad and painful. experience.
Excellent job of reporting by my "go to" local news station.
Pretty hard to know for sure what bit her.

I can't tell you how many times out surfing at dusk I would have something smack my leg, usually it happened more on the OSV than at OC but still, you are in their world.   Not surprising but I am glad she is OK.  More than likely it was chasing after bait fish and she was in the middle.

Spinr0k you are a brave person.  August big sharks at ai are thick.  Often I could not fish more than one rod as every cast was a hookup.  Especially at night.

Its times like that you try to fall on your board to paddle back out :)

I agree, I started tagging sharks years ago and I was surprised by how many are in the breakers.

They are now saying it was a sandbar that bit her (guessing they have dental records on file?)

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2021/08/05/sandbar-shark-bit-12-year-old-girl-in-ocean-city/

I saw pictures of the bite and there really wasn't a clear bite mark like you think you would see.

Some of the lacerations looked a little bigger then a small sand bar bite, but I'm not gonna argue with the woman that called the OC Beach patrol and told them they were wrong

This one shook me up in 2001.  Off R38 north of Buxton where I had been fishing that summer and got my first Cobia but the sharks were everywhere.  Like Steve said every cast.   It gets deep real quick there.  They were swimming at Dusk during start of Sharks start of feed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/local/2001/09/06/survivor-of-shark-attack-able-to-speak/7fc855c2-3ee3-4aca-ae2e-b982260da8d6/

Posted (edited) · Report post

Years ago I went surf fishing In O.C.MD before it became a city so built up. I was surprized when I caught a small reef shark. I asked the old timer fishing near me about sharks this close. He say's to me , when you go into the woods you might never see a sqirrel, But there there. All over the woods.  You might not see a shark, but there in the water. I'm glad the kid wasn't hurt that bad.

Edited by hunter123

People have no idea how many large and different species of sharks are in the area.  Fishing the ice breakers in mid nineties and I know that hammer that swam by was every bit of 10.  Delaware bay is a breeding ground for a lot of species.  

No doubt, if you go offshore you will see them just hanging out sunbathing near where the water turns clear, had one follow behind us as we were trolling.

Last fall fishing for reds I seen 2 10ft hammerheads less than 200 yards off the beach chasing bait. There have also been tiger sharks and bull sharks caught off the osv area. Glad the girl is ok, my money is on a blacktip bite. 20 years dealing with toothy critters blacktips are the more skittish ( easy to snap). Plus they have been in the surf a lot as of late. Seen a few breach last week past the outer bar.