jjdbike

Smoked pulled chicken/turkey?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

We’re vacationing w/ friends on Lake Ontario this coming week. I always prepare & contribute some food. One of or friends only East’s fish & poultry. Was planning on smoking some chicken for barbecued pulled chicken. Was wondering what barbecued smoke turkey would be like for a change.

Anyone ever done that? I wouldn’t do a whole bird, perhaps a breast. 
Would one use exact same method, spice rub, sauce etc? Wonder what internal done temp would be best for pulling?

Any experiences or suggestions?

JD

Smoked turkey drumsticks are a state fair staple. If it was me I'd start there. Dark meat has the flavor and fat

content to hold up to smoking, where white meat can easily tasted over smoked at least to me.

Now I have smoked turkey drumsticks on the brain and was thinking a glaze to finish would be nice.

I just checked and there are bourbon maple and herb glazes that folks are liking and I'm thinking

a brandy apricot or orange glaze might be nice. Looking forward to seeing what you do.:pop:

23 mins ago, Seakarp said:

Smoked turkey drumsticks are a state fair staple. If it was me I'd start there. Dark meat has the flavor and fat

content to hold up to smoking, where white meat can easily tasted over smoked at least to me.

10 mins ago, Seakarp said:

Now I have smoked turkey drumsticks on the brain and was thinking a glaze to finish would be nice.

I just checked and there are bourbon maple and herb glazes that folks are liking and I'm thinking

a brandy apricot or orange glaze might be nice. Looking forward to seeing what you do.:pop:

Thanks Bud!

Yes I was thinking about how dry a turkey breast might come out. Also, would be easy to overpower it w/ smoke.

I did love the looks of the glazed turkey drums. That might need to be for another time.

I'll chew on it.

Thanks again!

JD

I'd do the puled chicken, turkey legs are more of a beer drinking mans snack kind of thing, IMO most women will not enjoy. itd a side dish like wings that win that match 9 out of 10, sometimes folks even butcher wings and women like wings. Always the toughest part is figgering out womens, for the most part they are on a different page. Play it safe and do a standard pulled chicken that everyone except the kooks enjoy, for them bean sprouts and tofu. And stuff like apricot glazes need to be tested at home, not the time for a science project.

And its either chicken or pork (shoulder), turkey is for Thanksgiving and sandwishes, no wonder they can't sell them year round in any kind of quantity, its ok, but dry and boring is its claim to fame, even the deep fried ones. 

24 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

I'd do the puled chicken, turkey legs are more of a beer drinking mans snack kind of thing, IMO most women will not enjoy. itd a side dish like wings that win that match 9 out of 10, sometimes folks even butcher wings and women like wings. Always the toughest part is figgering out womens, for the most part they are on a different page. Play it safe and do a standard pulled chicken that everyone except the kooks enjoy, for them bean sprouts and tofu. And stuff like apricot glazes need to be tested at home, not the time for a science project.

And its either chicken or pork (shoulder), turkey is for Thanksgiving and sandwishes, no wonder they can't sell them year round in any kind of quantity, its ok, but dry and boring is its claim to fame, even the deep fried ones. 

I hear you high.

I agree, the smoked thighs are for guy's night and washing down w/ beers.

I'm gonna stick w/ the smoked chicken. 

My science project (I always enjoy trying something new), will be making an Alabama White Sauce. Of course I'll also supply a more traditional Kansas City style  as back up. I'll also have one of my fave condiments, pickled red onions. They go well w/ so many different things, BBQ, fish tacos, salads etc.

Best regards,

JD

I prefer lightly smoked turkey thighs ..less sinewy …if you pull the bone out you could slice them into 1/4 inch slices post cooking …a pepper cranberry jelly /sauce or a carolina gold sauce will get that something different….take a spoon and gently get lift it up under the skin and you will get crispy skin prior to cooking …a cold dry white wine with cold peach quarters in it or buy frozen peach quarters or any other frozen fruit will be an  excellent choice to match the turkey …

7 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Hey folks,

We’re vacationing w/ friends on Lake Ontario this coming week. I always prepare & contribute some food. One of or friends only East’s fish & poultry. Was planning on smoking some chicken for barbecued pulled chicken. Was wondering what barbecued smoke turkey would be like for a change.

Anyone ever done that? I wouldn’t do a whole bird, perhaps a breast. 
Would one use exact same method, spice rub, sauce etc? Wonder what internal done temp would be best for pulling?

Any experiences or suggestions?

JD

You could probably make turkey breast work.  Brine it and smoke it to 170-175.  Not like pork, it’ll just get tough and dry cooked more.   My preference would be chicken thighs or breasts and thighs.  Crisp skin after and chop it back in. 

3 hours ago, JimW said:

You could probably make turkey breast work.  Brine it and smoke it to 170-175.  Not like pork, it’ll just get tough and dry cooked more.   My preference would be chicken thighs or breasts and thighs.  Crisp skin after and chop it back in. 

Thank Jim,

Yes, I agree a combo of chicken thighs & breasts would yield Best product.

Heck, if I could find boneless w/ skin on would be super easy to pull, though breasts couldn’t be much easier to debone.

JD

Whole chickens were on sale.

I was running short on time so I spatchcocked them hoping it would reduce time to get them upto temp.

I pulled / cut out breast bone, ribs, & wishbone.

Dissolved some low sodium Miner’s base in butter. Injected it into the bird. Sprayed w/ butter flavored Pam, rubbed & onto the BGE indirect over drip pan w/ apple juice. Jealous Devil charcoal & a couple  chunks each of apple & pecan. Stabilized at 275.

Was done in about an hour & a half.

Rested & pulled. 
Slaw, sweet pickles, pickled red onions, grilled veggies on the side.

I must say, my 1st attempt at Alabama white sauce & I’m an immediate fan. They made for tasty sliders.

Cheers.

JD

FE511F24-75DF-4DC2-B189-ACAC1CEA97B9.jpeg

88454245-1B28-4EC5-810A-03419B699FEB.jpeg