beached again

Boat that went down

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

They were talking on the radio today about this incident. Watched the video and the story below were it stated the boat was unrecoverable. The radio station reported it flooded thru the exhaust piping, maybe they established that before abandoning ship but not mentioned in news article.

9 hours ago, squidder 329 said:

They were talking on the radio today about this incident. Watched the video and the story below were it stated the boat was unrecoverable. The radio station reported it flooded thru the exhaust piping, maybe they established that before abandoning ship but not mentioned in news article.

I heard the same thing. A friend of a friend said they were backing down too hard and took on water. Glad everyone was ok. 

Thanks for the replies.  I heard that it was taking on water it didn't say how.  Crazy things happen. Glad they were prepared.  And yes, a big thumbs up to the Fish Bone Crew.

Scary stuff and it shows that bad things can happen very quickly.

Carry plenty of safety gear and know how to use it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Apparently they were backing down on a marlin and an exhaust hose popped off and opened up the big arse hole into the hull under the water line.  By the time they realized it it was too late.  The boat seems to have been well prepared with epirb pfds and life raft.   So basically it went down because of a hose clamp?  

Edited by Stryper Snyper
Can't say sweet heart

Makes you wonder how many boats have gone down as the result of backing down. Can't imagine filling the cockpit of a million dollar boat with salt water but apparently not that uncommon. I'm sure that why the "tuna door" has been relocated to the side of some boats.

Lots of ways to sink a boat backing down.

You can back into a sea that's too big, and just take too much water over the transom.  You can turn at the wrong time, get caught by a wave, and bury a transom cormer, and swamp the boat that way..  Or something mechanical can go wrong--badly designed tuna door (a good one has a tapered edge, so water pressing against it only seals it tighter) lets go, hose goes, etc.

One more reason I like running a center console.  I can back down gently to keep a fish in front of an angler, but if I need to get aggressive, I can put the angler in the bow and chase the fish pointy end first, which eliminates a lot of problems.

Fishing on my buddies boat 24' CC at one of the reefs. Three of us gather in the port stern corner untangling a skate which fouled our lines. As we were doing so I felt my foot get wet and looked down at a couple of inches of water. The water was coming up thru the floor drain which got me thinking. If we ever took serious water over the side the weight would submerge the floor drain which would bring more water onboard. We only had one 4 gallon bucket onboard, just something to think about.