Southcoastphil

Hook sizes for Conrad Jrs?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I  had always used 2/0 and went back and forth between a 5/0 siwash and a flag on back. the ones i have left have a flag on them now.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks for the quick help, guys.  I'd put cut 2/0 VMC 6Xs on it a few years ago, but never got to test swim it, so the first test swim will be with those hooks, followed by other permutations of two belly hooks (2/0 and 3/0, 6X and 4X, same F&R and heavier F than R), plus various tail configs.  I have two other (non-BM) Conrad Jrs. to test at the same time, so I'll LYK my findings.

(FWIW, a couple of years ago I really got into testing and using a single upped--either in size or strength--front belly hook and either deleting or balancing for the rear and tail trebles.  This worked pretty well on almost every plug and plastic swimmer I tested, but there was NWIH that I could get *any* of my BMs even close to swimming correctly with a single belly hook, upped or not.  Subsequent to that period, I learned about Anderson and Audet's "One Hook Solution", which I tried on some BMs.  Better than nothing is the best I can report from that test, so I'll deff be using two belly trebles, with the rear one lollipopped.)

2 hours ago, derekh said:

I  had always used 2/0 and went back and forth between a 5/0 siwash and a flag on back. the ones i have left have a flag on them now.

Derek, is the 5/0 Siwash dressed or naked?  In either case, did you notice any difference between the two tail riggings?

2 hours ago, t_man7 said:

I go with 3/0, 2/0 work as well.  Always dressed siwash off rear.

Thanks, Tommy.

The Conrad Juniors I saw in bassdozer's "Danny Pichney Collection" had either dressed single or dressed treble tail hooks, about 50/50.  All had white bucktail, regardless of the plug's color (white, mullet, rainbow, etc., even all black).

If I use any tail hook, it will be a dressed single, most likely a 5/0.

2 hours ago, Haycreekrambler said:

3/0 flag on the tail. I've tried 2/0 and decided that with 3/0 the plug digs better. On beachmaster's Bobby recommends 3/0.

Hey Shane, how's things?

I have to confess that I don't know why I used VMC 6X 2/0s, because my normal inclination would be to start with VMC 4X 3/0s, which I had (and have) on hand.  Maybe I used the 2/0s because they weigh essentially the same as 4X 3/0s and the 3/0s looked like they'd tangle.  :why:   

My current preference is to use cut 3/0s, primarily to maximize the effective gap between the hook points and the plug belly.  Swimming deeper is an added benefit, but one I think I could also get with the heavier 2/0s.

Assuming you're using VMCs, do the 3/0s get tangled?  

Edited by Southcoastphil

20 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

Hey Shane, how's things?

I have to confess that I don't know why I used VMC 6X 2/0s, because my normal inclination would be to start with VMC 4X 3/0s, which I had (and have) on hand.  Maybe I used the 2/0s because they weigh essentially the same as 4X 3/0s and the 3/0s looked like they'd tangle.  :why:   

My current preference is to use cut 3/0s, primarily to maximize the effective gap between the hook points and the plug belly.  Swimming deeper is an added benefit, but one I think I could also get with the heavier 2/0s.

Phil,  how ya doing. Was starting to wonder what became of you.

I haven't done alot of experimenting with 6x. On needles and darters a little.

Beachmaster's no tangles. They were built for 3 trebles. But, there's no way. I don't like 2.

Dan's jr's had 3/0 mustad's on them and they have a longer shaft. I rig them with 3/0 vmc's too 

The ruru's I've caught on were rigged with 3/0 if I remember correctly.

Still not sure who built the Conrad in your pic though.

26 mins ago, Haycreekrambler said:

Beachmaster's no tangles. They were built for 3 trebles. But, there's no way. I don't like 2.

Dan's jr's had 3/0 mustad's on them and they have a longer shaft. I rig them with 3/0 vmc's too 

I'm OK.  Been pretty quiet for a while now.

For years, I barely even gave 6X a thought, much less bought any.  Then came a couple of crazy years of regularly catching large (30s are large to me) at the ditch and I learned a lot--the hard way--about hooks and drags in big current, losing good fish to mangled 3/0s and 4/0s.  Like most num-nuts anglers, I initially reasoned that I "needed some better stuff", so it was off to M&Ds on my way home for a 25-pack of 3/0 6Xs.  (Ended up buying packs of 6Xs in every size from 2/0 to 5/0!) Now I use them primarily for their additional weight in a shorter shank.  (Out of the package, it seems that their penetration is less than that of same-sized 4Xs, but that was easily resolved by sharpening the hooks a bit differently.)

Like you, I find that three trebles is too much.  In addition to the obvious dangers to angler and quarry, another issue I have is that I lost more hooked fish on 9-points plugs than I did on plugs with fewer points.  I cannot say with certainty that it was due to less penetration on initial hook set or hooks tearing out due to leverage, but I can say that I don't recall ever bringing in a single-trebled plug with mangled hooks.

I had one of Bill's Jr. Conrads and that was rigged with 3/0s.  

When my stash of VMCs gets low, I plan to try some Mustads due to their longer shanks.  I also hope that they'll turn out to be less brittle than the VMCs.  

As for the builder of this plug, I had one response for BM today in response to my ID question thread in Tackle Collectors:

Take good care, mate.  And LMK if you plan to head up my way, OK?

3 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

Thanks for the quick help, guys.  I'd put cut 2/0 VMC 6Xs on it a few years ago, but never got to test swim it, so the first test swim will be with those hooks, followed by other permutations of two belly hooks (2/0 and 3/0, 6X and 4X, same F&R and heavier F than R), plus various tail configs.  I have two other (non-BM) Conrad Jrs. to test at the same time, so I'll LYK my findings.

(FWIW, a couple of years ago I really got into testing and using a single upped--either in size or strength--front belly hook and either deleting or balancing for the rear and tail trebles.  This worked pretty well on almost every plug and plastic swimmer I tested, but there was NWIH that I could get *any* of my BMs even close to swimming correctly with a single belly hook, upped or not.  Subsequent to that period, I learned about Anderson and Audet's "One Hook Solution", which I tried on some BMs.  Better than nothing is the best I can report from that test, so I'll deff be using two belly trebles, with the rear one lollipopped.)

Derek, is the 5/0 Siwash dressed or naked?  In either case, did you notice any difference between the two tail riggings?

Thanks, Tommy.

The Conrad Juniors I saw in bassdozer's "Danny Pichney Collection" had either dressed single or dressed treble tail hooks, about 50/50.  All had white bucktail, regardless of the plug's color (white, mullet, rainbow, etc., even all black).

If I use any tail hook, it will be a dressed single, most likely a 5/0.

Hey Shane, how's things?

Can you post pictures of the other Conrad’s your testing?

Can you also expand on the way you sharpen the 6X to get better penetration?

Phil i always dressed the tail, and i believe my landing ratio was a bit better with the siwash then with the flag. The reason i use the flag more now is i dislike the vmc siwash and the stainless mustads i use are in short supply.  also i dont have many locations left where i fish a conrad. I used the 2/0 on belly because the 3/0 would hook together on the plugs that i have. I am not against multiple trebles in any way and if the lure fishes better for me with 2, 3 or 10 hooks i have no problem with it. But with rhe conrad it might swim o,k with a single 4/0 or 5/0 hook on belly. it may tangle on the lip,  i have never tried it   

5 hours ago, Goldy said:

I was thinking flag on the back as well.  Will that change action 

Probably not. That plug has a giant lip it should have no trouble moving with that hardware. I wouldn't do a siwash, just a flag.  Me, personally, i'm putting another 3/0 on the ass. 

On 8/6/2021 at 7:21 AM, Goldy said:

I was thinking flag on the back as well.  Will that change action 

Any change in any equation changes the final outcome.

On 8/4/2021 at 10:36 PM, Haycreekrambler said:

Danny never supplied or suggested 3/0's on any model of any metal lip of that size with the lone exception that I can recall being the head hook on the troller. Danny originally supplied his medium plugs with 2/0's. he eventually swapped out the rear bucktail treble for a bucktail single. The sole reason for the rear hook change was he could tie bucktail onto a single hook three times faster. 

3 hours ago, SC said:

Danny never supplied or suggested 3/0's on any model of any metal lip of that size with the lone exception that I can recall being the head hook on the troller. Danny originally supplied his medium plugs with 2/0's. he eventually swapped out the rear bucktail treble for a bucktail single. The sole reason for the rear hook change was he could tie bucktail onto a single hook three times faster. 

Steve,

can you comment ln this

seems a few bm conrads hooks marry.  

08BE5C21-2B34-4C3F-B55D-9071960C087C.jpeg

FBC50C68-55BE-4906-B1CE-13739B1733EB.jpeg