SubRosa87

Tsunami Shield 5000 Rod

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hey rats. What’s a good rod to pair with this reel? It’s gotta handle 40lb braid and I’m looking for it to throw 1-5oz or something like that. I need a wide range of weights as I make my gear heavier for the fall run. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

For casting from jetties ,I use a Star Steller 9' 1-4 oz. I have pulled in some nice size fish with thei rod. Foe the surf casting plugs, I use a Tsunami 11' 1-4,5 oz , it cast a plug a mile if I want it too. Look up rods , see what is out there for a rod wuth 1 - 5 oz . But it all depends on how much you want to spend. Rods are like drivers in golf, everyone is searching for the Holy grail. 

Edited by hunter123

On 8/4/2021 at 1:32 PM, SubRosa87 said:

Hey rats. What’s a good rod to pair with this reel? It’s gotta handle 40lb braid and I’m looking for it to throw 1-5oz or something like that. I need a wide range of weights as I make my gear heavier for the fall run. 

ODM Genesis 11 foot 1-6oz. Price is around $400 but it’s a hell of a rod for the money. Nicer than the Lamiglas rods in the same price range in my opinion, the Genesis feels like a custom! 

2 hours ago, dtracy43 said:

be careful tossing big stuff with the shield , I smoked one at the canal this past weekend tossing 4oz jigs

The gears in the shield are not made to last. Tbh you really don’t need a sealed reel for the canal, I would much rather put a priority on drag power or gear material. A Penn Spinfisher or Slammer is good for me! 

1 hour ago, Fish_Magic123 said:

The gears in the shield are not made to last. Tbh you really don’t need a sealed reel for the canal, I would much rather put a priority on drag power or gear material. A Penn Spinfisher or Slammer is good for me! 

love my Slammer , I had that thing under water , bounced off Rick's and it just keeps on going

17 mins ago, dtracy43 said:

love my Slammer , I had that thing under water , bounced off Rick's and it just keeps on going

Yeah it’s a beast of a reel! There are so many solid reel choices in the $200-300 range, just depends on what you want really for features. For the type of fishing I do, I definitely want some seals if I take a wave or two.