brushfly

Acadia National September: Salt or Fresh?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Heading up there mid-September. In my research that time of year seems to be a toss up between small Pollack off the beach or working the ponds and creeks for Trout or Bass. I plan on bringing up an 8wt and a 5/6wt. Any feedback or advise from those who've been there that time of year? Seems like Stripers will be long gone by then and to be honest with you, they seem a bit on the schoolies side which I've been doing plenty of so far this year. Would be nice to shake it up a bit. Staying on the South side of Mt. Desert Island. Thanks in advance. 

Curious about this as well.  Surprisingly, From everything I’ve read the striper/bluefish fishing up there doesn’t really exist regardless of season. Weird right?  Most stuff I read online said that most flyfishing up there is for wild brook trout in the streams and creeks.

The one time my family and I made the trip up to Arcadia, I was told exactly that; there's no real fishery for striped bass or bluefish. Funny enough there is a pretty good fishery (for striped bass) a bit north of there, but it's a local population from New Brunswick, Canada. These fish do not migrate very far from that area

There are virtually no stripers and positively no bluefish.  Pollock and macks can be had off the rocks dropping into deeper water.  Your brook trout fishing will be totally dependent on water levels.  There are some stripers in Penobscot Bay, but wade fishing for them is difficult- the Bagaduce and the reach would be two possible spots.  Capt. Pete in Stonington (eggemogggin reach guide services) might have some info.  He does some chartering still, but mostly for pollocks and macks with sabikis.  

There is some great smallie fisheries near Ellsworth ( mainland)  in interior Hancock County.  send me a PM for more info.

Timely for me, as I'm going to Acadia and Cobscook Bay in mid-Sept. . I've caught pollock and macks  from Deer Isle north, but zero else.  I have fished the St. John for smallies, and  some lakes heading up towards Caribou, but would love areas closer or on the way, Ellsworth being just that. I will send a PM.  

Appreciate the echoed sentiments. Titleguy, we'll be on Mt. Desert for the week so no venturing back onto the mainland. Thank you though. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

The macks should still be around then and the pollock will be even thicker.  Super fun on a 6 weight with a sink tip and small flies with lots of flash.  The kreelex clousers work really well.  Eastern Maine has had a lot of rain and cooler weather in the past few weeks so the streams in the park should have plenty of water.  Very good wild brookie water.

Edited by titleguy

Writing this from mount desert island in maine.  Was walking around a dock tonight with my family stargazing. As we were walking off the dock two couples were walking up with spinning gear to do some night fishing (and drinking) for squid under some dock lights.  So we are sticking around to watch them fish when we see a few decent sized shadows cruising around under the lights and they were definitely happy fish on the prowl looking to eat.  Probably 6 or 7 shadows all in the 24-30 inch range in about 2-4ft of water.  The guys fishing live on mdi and fish dock lights regularly and have never seen fish this big before by the docks.  Only fish I think it could be would be a striper but the guy says he’s never seen a striper up there and given what I’ve read I agreed that given the location it’s got to be something else.  Unfortunately the guy doesn’t have any regular lures, only squid jigs which don’t really have hooks. So the guy tosses in the squid jig to see if he can get an eat and first cast he gets a fish to eat with a big hard pull and big splash but given the nature of the squid jig the fish doesn’t stay on.  This happens a couple more times.  We are standing there all excited and still trying to figure what kind of fish they are.  So my daughters and wife encourage me to go get my fly rod from the trunk and try myself. So with the guys permission (didn’t want to blow up their spot) I go and get my fly rod and put on a white polar fiber clouser.  First few casts get some follows but no eats.  Have an audience from above watching and my wife tells me to slow the strip. So I cast and start stripping half speed of my prior strips.  3 strips in line goes tight and it’s heavy.  Tighten the drag and pull the fish away from trouble and about a minute later we pull in what had to be a 30in 10+ lb striper.  Couldn’t believe it. So there may not be a striper fishery up in mdi but I can absolutely confirm with 100% certainty that there are stripers up there.

Great report. I am from the Old Town area, originally, southern Maine now. I knew it would be a matter of time for some one. I went to school with a woman, who moved to MDI, and she told me way back in the late 90s that her brother used to get bluefish down that way. I used to frequent the area alot, but never fished for stripers. I will say about 8 or 9 years ago, doing work at the cutler navy base, I was eating at Helens restaurant in Machias, and watched stripers jumping on an incoming tide. I will say, the fishing seems to be getting better the farther north you go over the last few years. I have seen some nice stripers caught on the penobscot in Milford the last few years as well. That is 45 miles inland from the ocean. Thanks for the great report.

2 hours ago, bdowning said:

All the stripers that used to be in casco bay to Kittery moved up there now. :p

The irony of that statement is that I fished near there (bath) the week before for two days and although I caught fish it was few and far between and the ones that were caught were all 18” and smaller with average being 14” or so.  Maybe they have moved north with everything getting warmer?