LenDawg24

Party boat help/questions

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Never been out on a party boat before so just basically wondering what specific gear to bring. We will be going out for fluke half day. I only fish from shore and have all that gear but I know my bucktails for surf aren't going to be any good since they are basically 1/2oz - 1oz at best...
Boat says they supply bait and rods.. I'm planning on renting a rod as I dont want to ruin or screw up my nice surf rod.

So basically for bucktails what size am I looking at?
Should I even bother getting bucktails or is there something different to use out there?

Gulp, should I get the bigger size?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks and tight lines all

For a half day trip, not knowing where the boat plans to fish and with plans to use the boat rod ... I would just get gulp grubs between 4”-6” and use a hi lo rig

Posted (edited) · Report post

Is this the ocean or the bay? 4 hours so I would think the bay but I guess could go either way. 6-7' M or MH rod with 1/2-2oz bucktails if it is in the bay. 6-7' MH or H with 1-6 oz bucktails if it is the ocean I guess but not even sure it is worth throwing down an $8 bucktail into a wreck, probably better to just do a surgeon's loop at the bottom with the weight and put teaser hooks with feathers on a hi/lo or something.

Bigger gulp can help catch bigger fish but bigger gulp ends up losing the tails too, so I mean take it for what it is worth.

Boat rod will be some old stiff conventional more than likely, most people just drag minnows and lead with them.

Edited by hurricane1091

Not sure where you're going to be fishing from or how many hours for a half day boat. If it's four hours depending on where could be two hours fishing. Drifting on wrecks results in lost rigs, so a supply of different sized BT's is called for. Fished wrecks last week and the better fish were caught with gulp pink shine on a teaser above the BT. Good luck. 

Your surf fishing set up will be useless on a party boat as it will be too light.  

If this is your only time going, don't even bother with bucktails.  If you're lucky and conditions are favorable, 2 ounces might do it, but you will need 3 to 4 oz bucktails on the ocean minimum (too heavy for future use off the beach).  The gulps should be 4 to 6 inches in different colors.

On most boat trips I've taken this year, after 11 AM or so, the drift has often been so fast that you need 8 oz.+ sinkers to hold bottom dragging bait.  Even when the draft is more manageable, you'll need 6 oz. or so to hold bottom.  The set up there is a weight with a long line trailing and a hook with gulp or squid.  

Rental rod set up might be your best bet.      

21 mins ago, Nostromo said:

Your surf fishing set up will be useless on a party boat as it will be too light.  

If this is your only time going, don't even bother with bucktails.  If you're lucky and conditions are favorable, 2 ounces might do it, but you will need 3 to 4 oz bucktails on the ocean minimum (too heavy for future use off the beach).  The gulps should be 4 to 6 inches in different colors.

On most boat trips I've taken this year, after 11 AM or so, the drift has often been so fast that you need 8 oz.+ sinkers to hold bottom dragging bait.  Even when the draft is more manageable, you'll need 6 oz. or so to hold bottom.  The set up there is a weight with a long line trailing and a hook with gulp or squid.  

Rental rod set up might be your best bet.      

Do most boats provide the sinkers or is that something I should grab before going?

They typically have all the extra tackle you'll need, including weights, but you'll pay a premium.  If you're fishing out front & fishing bait (which oftentimes outfishes the bucktailing crowd) or a chicken rig you want to make sure you've got enough weight.  If you're dealing with deeper drops and current, I'd have up to 10oz.

6 hours ago, LenDawg24 said:

Do most boats provide the sinkers or is that something I should grab before going?

The boats will have sinkers for $2 to $3 per sinker.  No point in buying them beforehand if you aren't doing it again because you won't know what weight will work that day.  Could be anywhere from 6 to 12 oz. depending on the drift/current.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm new to it l, also.  I've gone 4 times last 2 summers on 4 hour afternoon trips out of pt. Pleasant.  Not much fun.

Afternoon means prevailing south winds every time of 10-15 knots or more.  Needed 10-12 oz to maybe hold bottom.  Your line is either a mile out from the boat or under the boat.  Seems like the captains don't want to expend fuel slowing down or controlling the drift (that's my opinion though I don't even know if it's possible) with a bunch of amateurs on the afternoon trips.  I've seen maybe 2-4 keepers per boat caught each trip.  When you do catch you don't even know it and there's no fun fighting a small fish with huge rod.  Boats I've been on provide sinkers and bait at no extra cost but take them back at end of trip.

My next trip will be a weekday am.  Going to try my own lighter rod, light braid and bucktails/gulp jigging, hopefully if the drift is slow enough.

Edited by Sam3631
Sinker comment

Depending on the which boat you select, the "extras" may be free or a modest cost. The mates on the boat will help you select the best setups with their gear.  They are experts in helping you catch.  Don't hesitate to ask for their advice.  They'll appreciate your respect for their knowledge.  Mates are interested in earning your end-of-trip $10 tip. Tight lines.  Regards, GE

On 8/4/2021 at 11:57 AM, LenDawg24 said:

Never been out on a party boat before so just basically wondering what specific gear to bring. We will be going out for fluke half day. I only fish from shore and have all that gear but I know my bucktails for surf aren't going to be any good since they are basically 1/2oz - 1oz at best...
Boat says they supply bait and rods.. I'm planning on renting a rod as I dont want to ruin or screw up my nice surf rod.

So basically for bucktails what size am I looking at?
Should I even bother getting bucktails or is there something different to use out there?

Gulp, should I get the bigger size?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks and tight lines all

If you are bucktailing. You can pickup a tsunami classic spinnining rod for $50, a 3000 series reel with braid 30lb.Leader 20 to 30 lb. Fluorocarbon is the preferred you can get away with mono. Use ball jigs 2oz to 4oz. Get them with short and long shanks. Use 5 or 6 inch gulp worms. 5 inch minnows. Color white glow, pink shine, salmon. 5/0 baitholder hooks.

Ball on bottom with a worm, dropper loop above with hook and minnow. Depending on area wrecks, rocks tighter distance. Sandy bottom distance can be greater. Chk with the mates. Bring a dehooker  if u have one. junk towel, sunblock, hat, raincoat if necessary. 

Boat rods live bait is supplied bring weights 3 to 5 oz bank or flats. Hooks bring 5/0 6/0. 30lb leader you'll be dragging. You can set up a hi lo rig with gulp as others have said. Was out a few days ago and as someone pointed out current is moving down there.

9 hours ago, Blackheart16 said:

If you are bucktailing. You can pickup a tsunami classic spinnining rod for $50, a 3000 series reel with braid 30lb.Leader 20 to 30 lb. Fluorocarbon is the preferred you can get away with mono. Use ball jigs 2oz to 4oz. Get them with short and long shanks. Use 5 or 6 inch gulp worms. 5 inch minnows. Color white glow, pink shine, salmon. 5/0 baitholder hooks.

Ball on bottom with a worm, dropper loop above with hook and minnow. Depending on area wrecks, rocks tighter distance. Sandy bottom distance can be greater. Chk with the mates. Bring a dehooker  if u have one. junk towel, sunblock, hat, raincoat if necessary. 

Boat rods live bait is supplied bring weights 3 to 5 oz bank or flats. Hooks bring 5/0 6/0. 30lb leader you'll be dragging. You can set up a hi lo rig with gulp as others have said. Was out a few days ago and as someone pointed out current is moving down there.

Everything Blackheart16 said. And I would say it would be a way better experience to have your own rod and reel at least. I just got back into party boat fishing this year and it's painful to watch people struggle with the rental rods. I would pick up an inexpensive 6'-7' medium rod and maybe use one of your surf reels if you have one that's not too large (something around a 4000 size). You can rely on the boat for rigs and bait  for your first trip but I guarantee that if you go a second time, you'll be buying at least $100 in bucktails and gulp LOL. 

Call them and ask what they are fishing for and what they recommend as far as gear. Then come back here and we will help you adjust. 

We need to know the boat, the general area, bay or ocean, and what they say they are catching. 

Big differences between a porgy and a fluke trip. 

On 8/6/2021 at 1:43 PM, hookmeup said:

Call them and ask what they are fishing for and what they recommend as far as gear. Then come back here and we will help you adjust. 

We need to know the boat, the general area, bay or ocean, and what they say they are catching. 

Big differences between a porgy and a fluke trip. 

Gonna be going out on the Norma K out of point pleasant. Fluke, 8-12:30pm.... going out this coming Saturday 

You are looking at the most 2 1/2 hrs fishing. The fish don't know it's a rental and they'll bite on it. Take it as an opportunity to see what other people are using, for that matter to see if you even like party boat fishing. Check out the people rods and reels especially in the stern of the boat they are the one who get there two hours early. You'll have to decide your own preference on light or heavy, conventional or spinning. You may just decide to stay with surf fishing and finding your own fish. Good Luck.