7'6" - 8' Inshore Rod

Rate this topic

wtfooptimax200

21 hours ago, Bogey said:

I saw a StCroix Triumph Inshore the other day, looked like a great value.

18 hours ago, JAL said:

Another quality line of rods that won't break the bank are Star Rods, specifically the Stellar Lite series.

big +2 to the above

I'll add one more in the "Not Century weapon $budget"  category.

Hurricane redbone 7'6" is no frills good solid rod, I have the 7' and 7'6".  More moderate than the triumph, but not in a bad way for all round use

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2021 at 5:55 PM, weekendwarrior said:

I bought a century weapon 7’10” this spring that I absolutely love.  I’d recommend it highly if you are willing to spend the dough.

I'm thinking of getting one to pair with my prevail VR75 I just ordered...  my question is this...   should I get the 7'10 or I was thinking of getting a 9ft weapon blank and having a 8'6 made custom for it.  

I want something a bit longer but same action as the factory 7'10.   Also considering getting one with no reel seat and taping on the Vr75.   That way I can move it depending on application...  I like a shorter but section when fluke jigging but still the option for a standard surf rod butt length for between the legs etc.  Thoughts?

Never taped on a spinning reel but heck if it works for Bill Wetzel why not right?

30 mins ago, Rm101 said:

Been using an ODM D.N.A. 8' (rated 3/8 - 2oz) for a year+.

Replaced a St Croix for the back bays. Gr8 action: pleasure to cast and fight.

Go to weapon of choice for the light side - Highly recommended.

Or the ODM DNA Back Bay? 

RockfishOn!! :cool:

2 hours ago, Rm101 said:

Been using an ODM D.N.A. 8' (rated 3/8 - 2oz) for a year+.

Replaced a St Croix for the back bays. Gr8 action: pleasure to cast and fight.

Go to weapon of choice for the light side - Highly recommended.

I have a funny feeling that this rod is in my future at some point.  I haven't handled it in person, but it seems sweet.  Plus, a 60/40 2 piece 8 footer ought to transport super easy in a small rod tube, even amongst beach toys and all the other crap we tend to have with us at times.  Unfortunately, the handle length on this one was a bit long for me for this particular purchase.   I ended up with a 7'6" star seagis and it is super sweet.  I haven't fished it yet, but as soon as I picked up the rod, I knew that she was the one.  Can't wait to get it into some fish.

4 hours ago, AdamHJeep said:

I'm thinking of getting one to pair with my prevail VR75 I just ordered...  my question is this...   should I get the 7'10 or I was thinking of getting a 9ft weapon blank and having a 8'6 made custom for it.  

I want something a bit longer but same action as the factory 7'10.   Also considering getting one with no reel seat and taping on the Vr75.   That way I can move it depending on application...  I like a shorter but section when fluke jigging but still the option for a standard surf rod butt length for between the legs etc.  Thoughts?

Never taped on a spinning reel but heck if it works for Bill Wetzel why not right?

We have an 8'6" Weapon blank coming out any day. Rated 3/8-2oz. I'd run a reel seat on it, very low diameter,  seat will be more comfortable. 

9 hours ago, AFMike said:

We have an 8'6" Weapon blank coming out any day. Rated 3/8-2oz. I'd run a reel seat on it, very low diameter,  seat will be more comfortable. 

How would this compare to the 9ft Weapon blank cut down to 8'6?  I'm looking for something a bit heavier to be able to throw a 3oz metal or 2.5 popper in a pinch.   

I have a 7'2 custom night Ranger for my lighter back bay stuff which is nice

59 mins ago, AdamHJeep said:

How would this compare to the 9ft Weapon blank cut down to 8'6?  I'm looking for something a bit heavier to be able to throw a 3oz metal or 2.5 popper in a pinch.   

I have a 7'2 custom night Ranger for my lighter back bay stuff which is nice

The 9' is heavier and will throw that 3oz you're looking for.

On 8/4/2021 at 10:36 AM, wtfooptimax200 said:

I'm thinking about a 7'6" or 8' inshore rod for use when wading smaller waters or fishing from my kayak.  What does everyone like?  It looks like the Carbon Shield II gets good reviews, but the MH is out of stock almost everywhere.  I'm also thinking about the Star Seagis as that looks like it'll fit the bill quite nicely.  Any other suggestions are appreciated as I'm not as in tune with the tackle market as I was in the pre-kid days haha.

Branden

Check out Star Plasma Series rods - I love their 7'6" 1/2 - 2.5 oz rod

On 8/4/2021 at 10:36 AM, wtfooptimax200 said:

I'm thinking about a 7'6" or 8' inshore rod for use when wading smaller waters or fishing from my kayak.  What does everyone like?  It looks like the Carbon Shield II gets good reviews, but the MH is out of stock almost everywhere.  I'm also thinking about the Star Seagis as that looks like it'll fit the bill quite nicely.  Any other suggestions are appreciated as I'm not as in tune with the tackle market as I was in the pre-kid days haha.

Branden

$ range?  

Some of the suggestions are to get $400 - $700 rod and pair it with a $500 reel.  

58 mins ago, 55555s said:

$ range?  

Some of the suggestions are to get $400 - $700 rod and pair it with a $500 reel.  

I was trying to keep it at or under $200.  I ended up with a 7'6" Star Seagis.  I may look into some of the pricier options as funds permit.  They all look legitimately sick.

Just now, wtfooptimax200 said:

I was trying to keep it at or under $200.  I ended up with a 7'6" Star Seagis.  I may look into some of the pricier options as funds permit.  They all look legitimately sick.

I bet you will really like that seagis.  Congrats.