wtfooptimax200

7'6" - 8' Inshore Rod

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

I'm thinking about a 7'6" or 8' inshore rod for use when wading smaller waters or fishing from my kayak.  What does everyone like?  It looks like the Carbon Shield II gets good reviews, but the MH is out of stock almost everywhere.  I'm also thinking about the Star Seagis as that looks like it'll fit the bill quite nicely.  Any other suggestions are appreciated as I'm not as in tune with the tackle market as I was in the pre-kid days haha.

Branden

I have a 7'6 seagis that I like a lot.  If you will troll anything from the kayak the seagis isn't a good choice due to the split grip. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

A lot folks like avid inshore . It’s over 200$ though. My last inshore rod was a 7’8 Phenix freshwater rod with small micro guides and tops out at 3/4. Medium. It’s made with strong graphite and the pair it with vanford 400O last year I bought a Daiwa back bay heat long handle. The Daiwa sol doesn’t look bad or Daiwa isla . I like the back bay , it’s sensitive and can throw over 1.5 oz  but it’s a little heavy at times .  

Edited by jeffapeikin

Hi All, 

My first post... 

I cannot recommend the Century Weapon 7'10" or 7'6" Weapon Jr high enough. Been striper fishin for 35 years, in my experience nothing like it. They really are all that they claim to be.  LOTS of backbone, moderate flex, any size fish, schoolie to cow.  The weapon will thro a 1/2 oz schoolie popper and any size SP Minnor easily , next cast throw the lil dock spook or even the Big Doc. Weapon Jr, excellent for light jigheads, perfect for Jumpin Minnows and 1 oz Pencils. Can even throw a 2 oz Pencil. 

I think the Weapon Jr , 7' or 7'6" would be perfect for yak fishin, shorter butt section.

Highest recommendation.

3 hours ago, Bogey said:

I saw a StCroix Triumph Inshore the other day, looked like a great value.

Nice rods, good bang for the buck.

Another quality line of rods that won't break the bank are Star Rods, specifically the Stellar Lite series.

Black hole suzuki 801l and challenger bank 7"9" are my goto rods challenger bank great albie rod suzuki kinda do it all rod from soft plasttics to big spooks.

13 mins ago, NEStripes said:

Black hole suzuki 801l and challenger bank 7"9" are my goto rods challenger bank great albie rod suzuki kinda do it all rod from soft plasttics to big spooks.

The suzuki looks really sweet, do you know the handle length on that one?

28 mins ago, JAL said:

Nice rods, good bang for the buck.

Another quality line of rods that won't break the bank are Star Rods, specifically the Stellar Lite series.

Star is definitely nice, I have a Paraflex and am very happy with the quality it.

I'll second the Seagis.  Also, they offer full grips and split grips if that is wanted.  I like full grips so that's what mine are.  Great rod.  Very light and sensitive.

Funny I think I have every rod mentioned here except Seagis and Isla.  Agree weapon Jr's are awesome but not same price point as the Tsunami. 

If you are looking on lighter side of things the Mojo inshore is pretty light as is an Avid.  I'd lean Avid if you want to step up and better warranty. 

The Suzuki is a split grip.   It's a good rod but heavy compared with others.   I took mine to Nantucket recently and was catching gator blues on 2.5oz plugs all day but your arm will feel it.   Great casting distance. 

Odm back bay is a nice rod,  bit of a combo surf spin. Not as heavy as the Suzuki but almost as good distance. You'd need to decide if grip length would work on your kayak though.   I think most guys want short grips.

A rod I don't have but am getting to try is an Okuma SRT inshore elite.   About same price as tsunami and light.   I've been very happy with an Okuma Epixor rod compared to much higher end rods I have.   I bet it's a winner. 

Jigging world night ranger is used by EliasV on YouTube kayak fishing a lot.   I don't have one but I have a Ghost Hunter tuna popping rod from them. 

If I had $ 100-150 to spend,  SRT inshore.  $200, ODM.   $250, Avid.  $400, weapon jr.

The Suzuki is a good rod with tons of backbone and distance just can't imagine it being a good kayak rod. 

Keep eyes peeled for used,  I have a bunch of inshore rods im selling you are welcome to try them before you buy if you're local to south coast of MA.