coastalfreak

3k Reels for the Surf

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey folks, looking for a quality 3000 size spinning reel for the surf. I’ll be using this reel to Wade at the beach and cast small baits - such as live shrimp or sand fleas - or small dead baits into troughs for whiting, pompano, snapper blues, trout, and other small surf species. I’m normally a Penn guy, because lots of times I’m throwing cut bait on 3-4 oz of lead and I like Penn durability for that. But for this setup, I’d like something lightweight yet pretty well protected from the surf elements. I will try my hardest not to dunk it but since I’m wading anything can happen. 

Preferably something in the 100-200 dollar price range. I’ll probably put it on a Lightweight, Quality Medium/ML action inshore spinning rod or a salmon/steelhead rod. Will probably cast no more than 3/4-1oz. 

So far, the Spheros is at the top of my list. I’ve also been looking at the Fuego or another lightweight Daiwa. I’ve also been considering a Shimano Baitrunner D. I’ve heard good things about Quantum’s but have admittedly not explored them. 

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

Edited by coastalfreak

Daiwa Saltist is a great line of reels IMHO for around the price range you’re looking for. If you’re wading , it’s gonna get wet. But I feel with proper care and maintenance after every trip any reel will last for a good while. 

Edited by SurfCasterNJ

Also if you want to spend a little extra , Tsunami SaltX is a great option as well, it can handle being dunked and dragged through the sand or whatever else might happen to it haha I think they’re in the $300-$400 range. But buy once cry once is my motto haha. Let us know what you do end up getting. 

I would jump @ 2oz and go with a bigger 4K size.

I'd go with a Battle 3. I'd also be very inclined to take a hard look at the 4k Conflict II Long Cast as well. I think this is a sleeper of a reel.

High honorable mention would have to go to either the Daiwa Whisker or Daiwa 1st generation Black Gold in an appropriate size. I have not went in on the the Penn LC yet but any of the other 3 reel I have gotten very wet and they can take it. For this application, investing in a sealed reel is a complete waste of money in my opinion.

1 hour ago, coastalfreak said:

So far, the Spheros is at the top of my list. I’ve also been looking at the Fuego or another lightweight Daiwa. I’ve also been considering a Shimano Baitrunner D. I’ve heard good things about Quantum’s but have admittedly not explored them. 

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

For what you're describing here, a 2500 or compact 3000-sized reel (if you need the line capacity) sounds right.  I'd look at running PE 1.0 or 1.5 - gets you around 20lbs abs. 

Can't go wrong with the Fuego - the 2500/C3000 is just an absolutely stellar value, even at msrp.  If you open the side plate and add some sticky grease around the mating surface, you can get this thing pretty damn close to fully sealed (although, there is another area to seal - the rim around the clutch cup).  The teardown vids on youtube show this.

Instead of the Spheros, I would suggest the 2021 Ultegra in the 2500/3000 size. That reel is showing to be a strong contender for mid-range king.  Next step up would be the Stradic FL.

If you plan to keep this as your light tackle kit, stick with the 2500/3000 reels.  But if you want to use this reel for heavier fishing, you can step up to the 4000/5000 sizes in Shimano without issue, but I would recommend you skip the Fuego in the larger sizes as you will notice the flexing.  The next Diawa that is lightweight and Magsealed would be the Ballistic, which at $200 competes with the (imo) superior Vanford.

Stay away from any reel from PurefishingTM aside from Penn (ie. Quantum/Pflueger/Abu) if you are gonna use it near salt.

BG3000 gets its done.  Slammer 3 3500/4500 is also another great option. 

Also a fan of Quantum Smoke Inshores - they are great reels.

Edited by animalbarrie

3 hours ago, Eric W said:

I just picked up a Daiwa saltist back bay LT 4000. It’s really a 3000 sized reel, light and smooth.  So far I’m a big fan

+1 on Saltist Back Bay. I have. 3000 that i use for fluke and schoolie bass. Has treated me very well for 2 seasons and i’ve definitely put a beating on it as it’s used exclusively in the surf

I agree with above post the diawa fuego is a nice very light reel that can be good in the surf. A buddy of mine has been using the 4000 size on light action 10’ and a 7’6” rods on the beach and he sold me his spare.  He sold his 3500 slammers for these to get light weight.  One thing to get used to is the body is a composite that flexes a bit when you have a big fish on but the composite is how they make the reel so light.  So far I’ve caught a bunch of blues, Spanish macs and pompano on it in Florida surf and a few schoolie stripers and fluke from boat in NJ and it seems durable but I am careful not to dunk it or get sand in it.  Seems like a good value at $100.  I also have Stradics which are great but to me are too complex to take apart if dunked or get sand in them so they stay off the beach.  4000 size fuego is similar in size to Penn 3500 and is the size I would get for surf.  

I have the BG in 3000 and 5000 and the Saltist in 4000; the 4000 is my day to day reel. Not sure if it’s warranted and would be happy for feedback but I feel more confident in the Saltist due to the Magseal. Haven’t had issues with the BGs just would rather splash around with the somewhat sealed reel. Long story short, I’m very happy with my Daiwa reels. 

For the purposes you talking about I have a Spheros Inshore 3000 on a 7" Medium rod and a SSVI 2500 on a 7'6" MH rod.  If you are looking for light and agile the Spheros will certainly do the job.  It has handled small Stripers and medium Blues with gusto.