yakscientist

Trolling tubes for cobia?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Anyone ever troll tubes for cobia? I'm gonna give it a shot off my kayak down in obx next week with the hogy SI tubes I've caught plenty of blues on. I've never caught a cobia and they're my #2 bucket list fish (behind tuna - any species), so any tips on trolling tubes for them, or cobia fishing in general would be much appreciated. I've only seen one in VA, while fishing for sheep, it was just hanging out and wouldn't eat anything my buddy or I threw at it.

There are a few shoals and troughs I intend to troll around, heard slack tide is best, but again any other info is appreciated. And if you've got any spots to launch to target cobia in NC, that would be reachable by kayak, that would be much appreciated! I know that's asking a lot and feel free to pm spots you don't want to just share to the general forum. Thanks everyone!

Maybe easier and cheaper just to bring along a couple of eels. Easy to keep alive in a minnow bucket and hook them in the bucket to prevent losing them. That way you're not storing the trolling tubes and be unable to find them later.

Most the cobia fishing in the OBX is sight fishing and throwing larger bucktails to them. Visibility wise this is where piloting a boat from a tower is a real advantage and a lot of the inshore boats keep a dedicated rod for just such an occasion. Cobia like to hang with rays as well as around channel markers and under bouys. I don't know how yak accessible most of these would be.   Occasionally one is caught from the beach but that is not very common. May and June are normally the peak months for them. 

If you go the live eel route I would either keep them on ice or calm them with some nicotine otherwise you may end up with just an eel knot around your tackle when and if you get a chance to cast to a cobia. Sluggos maybe? 

Thank you both for the info! Yeah I may try the live eel route, I have the berkley gulp eels with me just in case, and a rod rigged and ready with a bucktail too. Obviously as you've said, the kayak presents unique challenges, so the cobia are more of a pipe dream. If I do decide to buy some live eels I'll probably get a frozen bucket of chum and anchor up on a shoal and just send out some live eels on my baitrunner and LL reels with big circle hooks and floats. I've heard they're scarce down in obx this year so my primary targets are spanish, kings, sheep, specks and reds, but a cobia would certainly make the trip a success (as would any or all of the others)! 

34 mins ago, yakscientist said:

Thank you both for the info! Yeah I may try the live eel route, I have the berkley gulp eels with me just in case, and a rod rigged and ready with a bucktail too. Obviously as you've said, the kayak presents unique challenges, so the cobia are more of a pipe dream. If I do decide to buy some live eels I'll probably get a frozen bucket of chum and anchor up on a shoal and just send out some live eels on my baitrunner and LL reels with big circle hooks and floats. I've heard they're scarce down in obx this year so my primary targets are spanish, kings, sheep, specks and reds, but a cobia would certainly make the trip a success (as would any or all of the others)! 

With a yak you are prime in the sound for specks (paddle tails) & reds (cut mullet). Sheepshead like pier pilings love small crabs. If you can reach the spanish from the beach they fall for stingsilvers or other glittery small metals retrieved as fast as you can burn it in. All the kings I've heard of this year were off the end of piers mostly on small live tailor blues.  That's all I got...

On 8/4/2021 at 3:32 PM, hhager23 said:

With a yak you are prime in the sound for specks (paddle tails) & reds (cut mullet). Sheepshead like pier pilings love small crabs. If you can reach the spanish from the beach they fall for stingsilvers or other glittery small metals retrieved as fast as you can burn it in. All the kings I've heard of this year were off the end of piers mostly on small live tailor blues.  That's all I got...

Decided to forgo the surf launching, as something about the waves and conditions just didn't feel right. Did pretty well fishing pilings for sheepshead and the sound for specks and drum, got a new PB at 28" which was awesome in 2.5' of water!

8 mins ago, yakscientist said:

Decided to forgo the surf launching, as something about the waves and conditions just didn't feel right. Did pretty well fishing pilings for sheepshead and the sound for specks and drum, got a new PB at 28" which was awesome in 2.5' of water!

Nice! What bait/lures were working well for you?

15 hours ago, hhager23 said:

Nice! What bait/lures were working well for you?

I used mainly z-man minnow paddletails in 3 and 4" sizes, on 1/8oz jigheads if they were below popping corks, or on 1/4oz heads if not. I got hits on both light and dark colors but switched to exclusively light and shiny colors after about 8:30 AM. 

I have not had as much success with popping corks in the sound as I would have thought - even with live bait under them. Most my bites have been on simple carolina rigs or throwing paddletails. Natural colors have worked best for me so far.