yakscientist

obx open fishing invite (aug 8-13)

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I'll be down in Avon Aug 7-13 so if anyone wants to meet up for some kayak fishing let me know, always safer to go in groups particularly in some of the bigger waters I fish down there. Also if anyone wants to surf fish that's fine too, I know a little bit about that and usually always catch some decent fish but I'm far more of a kayak fisherman than a surf (ocean) or wade (soundside) fisherman. Send me a message if you want to meet up, or share some decent kayaking spots, will exchange for other spots around the DMV or NC, or even North. 

27 mins ago, yakscientist said:

I'll be down in Avon Aug 7-13 so if anyone wants to meet up for some kayak fishing let me know, always safer to go in groups particularly in some of the bigger waters I fish down there. Also if anyone wants to surf fish that's fine too, I know a little bit about that and usually always catch some decent fish but I'm far more of a kayak fisherman than a surf (ocean) or wade (soundside) fisherman. Send me a message if you want to meet up, or share some decent kayaking spots, will exchange for other spots around the DMV or NC, or even North. 

Thanks for the invite. Be careful. 

https://islandfreepress.org/outer-banks-news/kentucky-man-dies-in-pamlico-sound-kayak-accident/

2 mins ago, hhager23 said:

That's so sad. Crazy that it happened in the sound too, really curious about the exact circumstances as most places I've fished around that area have been less than 4 feet deep. Don't know of many 3 person kayaks, that's suspicious in itself. Heavy rain and high winds are likely to blame. It's just a sad and easily preventable event all around.

1 hour ago, yakscientist said:

That's so sad. Crazy that it happened in the sound too, really curious about the exact circumstances as most places I've fished around that area have been less than 4 feet deep. Don't know of many 3 person kayaks, that's suspicious in itself. Heavy rain and high winds are likely to blame. It's just a sad and easily preventable event all around.

Three to a yak sounded suspicious to me as well especially as you pointed out most of the sound is 4-6' deep particularly around haulover. 

Best of luck to ya. Let us know how you make out. I'll be down the following week slamming drum and specs. I usually fish the edges of the 8-12ft channels. And anywhere the weed beds are.:hooked:  

So I did pretty well considering I'm still learning a lot of the nuances of kayak fishing such a large and diverse (in both species and habitat) area. I took my kayak out twice, once to fish around some bridge pilings around a well-known inlet, the other to fish the sound for drum, specks and whatever else. I got 4 decent eating size (10-15") sheepshead around the pilings, but trolling around some great contours and around the pilings didn't yield anything, which is the second time that's occurred in that area. It is very similar to some other inlets/bridges I've fished where I usually catch at least some blues, and often spanish mackerel as well, but this was not the case at that spot. I even tried to troll tubes for cobia around the pilings and over the contours, especially at slack tide which I had heard was best for possible cobia, but no takers. Soundside, I had a very successful day with 3 keeper specks (15.5, 15.5, and 18.5") and 1 12" throwback, and 4 drum including my new PB (12, 18.5-kept, 19, and 28"). I'm still getting used to using the popping cork/jig/paddletail combo but most of the bigger fish came on that. 2-4' of water was most productive for me, but all the rain had cooled the water a bit, and I bet that action would shift to deeper areas once water temps reach 84-85. They were just touching 84 in the shallowest spots as I was heading back to shore.

2 hours ago, hhager23 said:

That is pretty cool! I've been using that launch over the past 2 years whenever I want some good marsh access, but the areas down South are just as good, if not better, at times. I'm glad it'll be well maintained now and that's awesome that there's another kayak guiding outfit in town. I have fished with Mikey Sabadic before and he runs a great outfit, and I also fished with Missy (I think Outer Banks Kayak Fishing is her outfit, not sure though) and she was also great considering it was the hottest day of the year. I haven't fished with Rob who seems like he's been doing it the longest, but I'd like to. However, now that I've got a few good spots to catch good specks and drum, I feel like I would only really book a trip if we were chasing spanish mackerel, or maybe big drum, not sure if any of those outfits offer those options.