Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Aug 5 - Aug 12

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a communal gathering place to share, report weekly fishing activity.

This will benefit those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters.

The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own fish reports.  

This is the fourth year for this type of approach. The years past have had great participation and much success. 

Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero,  let us all know if the bite is good or just not worth it getting off the couch. 

Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel with the ever changing fishing conditions we have today. 

August keeps moving along. Nights are cooler with added morning dew.

More and more pockets of small bait staging along the ocean front.

Chub Mack still around with a lot of added shad around our shorelines.  

I have discovered I like catching more than fishing. Is this normal for August ? Can’t buy a fish lately. Even the seals are not pleased.

9 hours ago, bassturds said:

Going this weekend looking for bones, triggers and chub macks. Dying to catch anyone of those species 

I should be out this weekend as well.   Hoping for some bonito.   

IMO   by boat .this is the best year in many years ..if you don,t count fluke  & you just want to catch fish ..

that,s not even  the offshore bite that I can,t remember ever having that close for that long ><

But out front & even in the bay .....  you would have to fish with no hooks to not catch something . even roaming schools of blues moved in  the bay this week  feeding on the peanuts 

gain  alot by boat . but I do know a few guys catching from shore ><>< 

4 hours ago, Juz1ish said:

Are the bait shop selling crabs again. I might try for tautog or scup on Saturday. 

I was wondering the same thing.   Any idea of the depth of tog at this time of year?  

9 hours ago, Juz1ish said:

Are the bait shop selling crabs again. I might try for tautog or scup on Saturday. 

I've heard keeper togs are shore bound already, plenty of small scups also.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I know of a bone caught from shore last week but, seems to be pretty quiet on that front otherwise. I've got into the chub Macks quite a few times out front the last couple of weeks. I'm also hearing reports of the bullet mackerel being around (they look like baby albies).

Has anyone seen/hooked any hard tails yet?

Edited by Peelin' Drag
typo

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fished some rocky shoreline last pm in the rough water, a few schoolies but not as good as it should have been. Also tons of people out fishing, I think everyone one had float and jig/fly, wonder what blog  they have been reading………..

hit backwater after and it was paved w 1” bait that bass and Shad were all over but didn’t want anything I had teasers included.

fished upper bay by boat today, blues all over and same w scup and sea robins. Looking at sonar the upper bay is paved w bait, will be an interesting fall. 

question how far up in bay do sea bass go?

Edited by Kooky