Family is expanding

Rate this topic

FEW3

The Sire is a champion trained birder, and I agreed to training this boy. Flight to Georgia on the 16th for he and his sister.  

Their " Dad " said people bring other folks dogs hunting down there often if trained. 

I never trained my Brittany's,  ( may be why they brought fiesty squirrels,  rabbits , and chipmunks in the house ).

Do folks actually take other people's dogs  hunting fowl in this state?

7 hours ago, FEW3 said:

I had no choice on the tail docking.

You will enjoy the company of that pup for sure and they can be great retrievers as well. Peace and Prayers

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

FEW congrats on the new pup.  A lovely Brittany.  Beautiful dogs ( all bird dogs are beautiful).  I'm on the fence about getting a new dog, but if I do it will be a Brit.  Best of luck with your new charge. 

Name?

The Sultan of Sluggo

FEW, not telling you what to do, but rather suggesting.

Please give some thought to basic puppy/juvenile training. There's a really great school right here in Bourne, Joseph's Obedience School.  We taken many of our dogs there and done Levels I-III.  The dogs love it. It makes a world of difference with the basic sit, stay, and come stuff around the house, and walking on a leash.  In addition I found it makes a big difference in training them to hunt, retrieve and do field work.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Nothing to add to the conversation but nostalgia. 

Today, in my old age, I have an unfair reputation as a dog hater. Nothing could be further from the truth.

It's dog owners I hate, and the entitled dog owner culture that I snipe about often.

In fact, I was raised in a dog family. My two half-brothers were/are (one deceased) German shorthair pointers. My nephew is also a GSHP.

The last dog I owned and trained was a Brittany pup. 40 years ago. I was a teenager. I loved that muleheaded (literally) **** eating dog. My goodness, Energy? I've never seen an animal so super charged. He had two speeds: bouncing off the wall and asleep. He could bust the thickest cover all day and still run around the yard like a maniac with the little kids for hours.

It boggles my mind when I see britts living in apartments or small yards. They must chew the house down!

Mine had full run of a big yard and still needed at least a half a hour a day running top speed in the open woods.

He was on his way to being a good bird dog. Had a nose on him. He used to point other people's crippled and dead lost birds. A couple times we could have had our limit without firing a shot (public land).

Had no patience with running pheasants though. Pointed the dead ones like a champ but if they ran, he tried to eat them.

Sadly, he came to an untimely end and I have never lived in a place as an adult that would accommodate a dog.