onthefly

White fly hatch

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

59 mins ago, KidDkivahh said:

Hey good luck . I've seen plenty of pics here just how thick that hatch can get. Btw love the fly. 

Thx hope it works haven't tied a dry fly since I started saltwater in 93 . Poor striper action has got me back into sweetwater. Having a great year on lmb and smb this year

30 mins ago, onthefly said:

Thx hope it works haven't tied a dry fly since I started saltwater in 93 . Poor striper action has got me back into sweetwater. Having a great year on lmb and smb this year

Nice . One suggestion I'd add a little bright colour to the wing. You may have a tough time keeping track of your fly amongst all the naturals on the water. 

2 hours ago, onthefly said:

after 50 + years of striper fishing the NE ,its been all trout streams & some bass waters the last 8 or more years , its all been worth it.  great looking fly ,keep us posted on the results ,thanks 

That's a nicely tied fly.  Just a thought, considering the size of the hatch, it's just going to be one of thousands of flies on the water.  Even though a lot of the larger fish will be feeding on the white flies, a lot will be feeding on the smaller fish also feeding on the flies.  Might not be a bad idea to have some bait fish or streamer patterns with you to fish just under the surface.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Oh I got my muddlers, helllgrimites, shiner and chub patterns ready. I will go for some numbers early and then breakout the switch rod for bigger streamers later. I here what your saying. Same philosophy used on the vineyard back in the day. When most guys were fishing 2 inch sandeel patterns I was fishing squid and american eel flies up to 12 inches catching 40;plus inchers thx

Edited by onthefly

On the Housatonic, smallmouth will ignore any kind of larger streamer or surface-wake fly when they are keyed on the white flies. The protein payoff does not apply. As always, different rivers, different fish, YMMV.

If you want to really clean up pre-and early-stage hatch, try swinging a soft hackle like my August White. People will chase you down to ask what fly you're using. :-)

Steve Culton

AugustWhite.jpeg.f1af8ea74dc4822c9bdbb59669635445.jpeg

My articulated surface streamer inspired by Kenny's peck pond minnow RIP 10 x 10 I'll call it the pinup girl because if the baby doll eyes to help it float. 

IMG_20210805_150809053_HDR.jpg