Bass2Snook

NY transplant here!

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Hello all,

We originally lived in NY and I've surf fished for striped bass up there for about 40 years, but we made the FL move last fall. We live in the Treasure Coast area, about 30mins north of West Palm.I had a bit of a tough start getting acclimated to the fishing down here, but eventually things clicked and over the winter I kept myself busy with lots of "schoolie" (is that even a thing down here LOL?) snook and small sea trout. Landed a 40" snook in June and a 43" mid-July under a bridge, which has been where I've been doing 99% of my fishing. I've caught nearly all of my fish on good old-fashioned "New England Style" bucktails under these bridges at night, but I'm really looking forward to catching something on the sand beaches, and with lures if at all possible (I've never really been much of a bait guy).

I hope to be able to contribute as well as learn. I'm particularly interested in learning if there is any way to still use my larger plugs that I dragged with me down here. From what I'm seeing so far I may have to accept a "scaling down", but that's OK.

Thanks for listening!

Sounds like we may be fishing the same areas. I spend January through June there and fish every day. All my fishing is on the beaches. Plugs definitely will work. Lots of luck this past winter with poppers and spooks. But my hot lure was an S P Minnow.

I usually come down a few times during the summer and the S P Minnow works on Snook in the summer also. 
I’ll try sending you a PM.

1 min ago, Brdhntr47 said:

Sorry Bass2Snook the board says you can’t receive messages.

Hi Brdhntr47,

Thanks for your post, yeah I think I have to have a certain number of posts in order to receive PMs and I don’t want to just spam Tim’s site to get my post count up. Hopefully soon and I appreciate your help.

The snook in my avatar was the 43” I caught under a local bridge. It was an awesome fight and I don’t think I’m exaggerating by saying it fought harder and pulled more drag than any slob striped bass I’ve taken over the years on Long Island.

Also, over the winter I tried hitting the local beaches at dawn with the usual “northeast” striper stuff (needlefish, darters, bucktails and tins) but I wasn’t aware at the time that the snook move inside in the winter. So, no luck for me then. My successes have all been under the bridges and 99% bucktails although over the winter I caught some small snook and sea trout on 5” Redfins and HellCats. A couple on the SP Minnow 13F.

Not many snook on the beaches in winter. Mostly Bluefish, Jack and Mackeral that time of year. Dawn and dusk is the time to chase them. I ran into a couple guys every morning last year for two weeks. They were there on vacation from Rhode Island. They were fishing 12 ft. rods and throwing really nice wooden 8” pencil poppers. Those guys could really cast. They caught Blues and Jacks every morning from the same spot. They never moved more than a few feet from where they walked onto the beach. Really good fisherman.

When you can send messages get in touch with me and perhaps I can point you to a few beaches.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 8/7/2021 at 7:02 PM, Brdhntr47 said:

Sounds like we may be fishing the same areas. I spend January through June there and fish every day. All my fishing is on the beaches. Plugs definitely will work. Lots of luck this past winter with poppers and spooks. But my hot lure was an S P Minnow.

I usually come down a few times during the summer and the S P Minnow works on Snook in the summer also. 
I’ll try sending you a PM.

I fish the waters just south of you guys, Palm Beach County. Most of my fishing is from the beaches though on occasion I do hit bridges, sea walls, intercostal, etc. I throw lots of popular New England lures down here - Super Strike, SP Minnows, Charle Graves, Point Jude, etc. - they all work great down here. I throw popular Florida lures as well - Cuda tubes my friends make for me, Pompono jigs, Crockadials, etc. - which also work great too. Predators act more on instinct then logic, if they're feeding and it looks like something good to eat they don't sit there and over analyze it like humans, they'll usually hit it. IMO.

I also head back north, mostly for the hot summer months.

Edited by Fishing & Hunting

On 8/3/2021 at 3:57 PM, Bass2Snook said:

Hello all,

We originally lived in NY and I've surf fished for striped bass up there for about 40 years, but we made the FL move last fall. We live in the Treasure Coast area, about 30mins north of West Palm. I'm really looking forward to catching something on the sand beaches, and with lures if at all possible  I'm particularly interested in learning if there is any way to still use my larger plugs that I dragged with me down here. From what I'm seeing so far I may have to accept a "scaling down", but that's OK.

Thanks for listening!

Nice!

If it were up to me I would rather live in the Treasure Coast instead of Palm Beach were I live, not so built up and crowded, more laid back feel up by you. My wife has lots of friends she knew for over 40 years near me so I'm not going anywhere. Either way Palm Beach the Treasure Cost its all really nice.

Definitely try out all your big Long Island surf plugs. I catch lots of fish on 2 3/8 oz Super Strike Little Neck Popers. Super Stike Bottle Pluges and Darters, modified beefed up hooks and split ring SP Minnows, etc. from the beach.  Only thing I noticed, not sure if it's just me, but if there's pelicans around and you're working a surface plug they'll go right after it. Not just giving it a good hard look but actually trying to eat it. Wonder if anyone else has that problem?

What  amazes me is how I know a lot of guys down here that use real light tackle and throw small fresh water Crappie Jigs and catch just about anything, big Jacks, snook, you name it. I caught some small Jacks like that, lots of fun! 

Any way welcome to Florida. 

Tight lines!

Edited by Fishing & Hunting

1 hour ago, Fishing & Hunting said:

Nice!

If it were up to me I would rather live in the Treasure Coast instead of Palm Beach were I live, not so built up and crowded, more laid back feel up by you. My wife has lots of friends she knew for over 40 years near me so I'm not going anywhere. Either way Palm Beach the Treasure Cost its all really nice.

Definitely try out all your big Long Island surf plugs. I catch lots of fish on 2 3/8 oz Super Strike Little Neck Popers. Super Stike Bottle Pluges and Darters, modified beefed up hooks and split ring SP Minnows, etc. from the beach.  Only thing I noticed, not sure if it's just me, but if there's pelicans around and you're working a surface plug they'll go right after it. Not just giving it a good hard look but actually trying to eat it. Wonder if anyone else has that problem?

What  amazes me is how I know a lot of guys down here that use real light tackle and throw small fresh water Crappie Jigs and catch just about anything, big Jacks, snook, you name it. I caught some small Jacks like that, lots of fun! 

Any way welcome to Florida. 

Tight lines!

Thanks so much bud! Yeah, we trek up and down from where we live down to your area. Both places have their weaknesses and their strengths. My wife has family close by but even still we find the traffic much lighter up here. Also (and this is not why we moved, but it’s an added bonus) I hear all the old timers up here calling the St Lucie Inlet/Stuart area “Snook Central” so there’s that!

I’m VERY intrigued by your comment about your success with “big New England stuff.” To be perfectly honest, I’ve already tried many big plugs here, but they just haven’t worked for me. My biggest producer has been a 1/2oz to 3/4oz bucktail. Not a flare hawk, a regular, NY bucktail. Maybe it’s because whatever else I’m throwing isn’t getting down deep enough?

Have you had success under bridges, in inlets or or on the beaches? I’m pretty confident that as big mullet move in more that I’ll be able to score with big plugs, but it sounds like you’ve had success well ahead of the mullet run - what’s you’re secret Lol?

Edited by Bass2Snook

1 hour ago, Bass2Snook said:

I’m VERY intrigued by your comment about your success with “big New England stuff.” To be perfectly honest, I’ve already tried many big plugs here, but they just haven’t worked for me. My biggest producer has been a 1/2oz to 3/4oz bucktail. Not a flare hawk, a regular, NY bucktail. Maybe it’s because whatever else I’m throwing isn’t getting down deep enough?

Have you had success under bridges, in inlets or or on the beaches? I’m pretty confident that as big mullet move in more that I’ll be able to score with big plugs, but it sounds like you’ve had success well ahead of the mullet run - what’s you’re secret Lol?

I say 80% of my fishing is walking this beach adjacent to an inlet. I usually throw a 1oz Kastmaster or a 1/2 to 1oz NY style buck tail. If I actually see fish feeding I may throw plugs. I usually stop at the pier alongside the Inlet. If it looks like there is action I'll fish there or walk to the back of the inlet to fish the intercostal side.  I do hit different bridges and beaches to mix it up too. 

20180218_064149.jpg

IMG_3648.JPG

IMG_3683.JPG

Hopefully we will have a meet up again this year . Alot of fun last year even though the sharks failed to show .

On 9/20/2021 at 8:10 PM, reelfire said:

Hopefully we will have a meet up again this year . Alot of fun last year even though the sharks failed to show .

Hope so that was a very nice day & glad to meet some new folks.  

Thanks again to Tom for putting it together & for everyone who helped out with food/ ice/ coffee & such.

On 9/17/2021 at 2:55 PM, Fishing & Hunting said:

I say 80% of my fishing is walking this beach adjacent to an inlet. I usually throw a 1oz Kastmaster or a 1/2 to 1oz NY style buck tail. If I actually see fish feeding I may throw plugs. I usually stop at the pier alongside the Inlet. If it looks like there is action I'll fish there or walk to the back of the inlet to fish the intercostal side.  I do hit different bridges and beaches to mix it up too. 

20180218_064149.jpg

IMG_3648.JPG

IMG_3683.JPG

I 'll keep an eye out for you. We'll be back in a week after a couple of months up north (CT). I usually fish Juno to Hobe Sound pre-dawn to 9 unless fish are around.

And very nice fish there as well!

If I can I'll throw a fly but not often due to wind & surf....

Edited by gman1253

30 mins ago, gman1253 said:

I 'll keep an eye out for you. We'll be back in a week after a couple of months up north (CT). I usually fish Juno to Hobe Sound pre-dawn to 9 unless fish are around.

And very nice fish there as well!

If I can I'll throw a fly but not often due to wind & surf....

Thanks!

I hit Juno on occasion, always wanted to check out Hobe Sound.

Weather is nice this time of year in CT if it’s anything like LI. I’m up in LI now, will be heading back down to Fl late October.