mtl50

Need starter help quick please

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I changed the starter on my motor and did not have the ground wires fully connected when I tried to start it. My starting battery posts are completely melted and the wires to the starter were starting to get very hot. I instantly turned the key off and turned the power switch off to the batteries. My question is could all of this problem I’ve been caused by not having the ground wires completely connected. Please help!!!!!!!!

If the ground was not fully connected or barely connected or any other connected than perfect, then the resistance of the circuit will go up tremendously.  Resistance creates heat which is why the cables got hot.

Seems strange, in the short time you were cranking, to have melted the battery posts.  I guess if the cable was just resting on the post it could have arc gouged the post.  Either way sounds like you need a new battery and I would be very carefully inspecting the cabling.

Are you sure you installed the starter correctly and connected everything where it should be?

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 mins ago, Sailah said:

Are you sure you installed the starter correctly and connected everything where it should be?

^^^^^  this

also.... is the starter new, rebuilt? It could be the problem but somewhat unlikely. 

Edited by Catskill John

It was the 2 grounds to the starter that were not connected. They were just hanging on the bolt. Not tight at all. 

Figured it out thank you. It was so totally stupid that I am not even going to say what it was.  It thanks for taking the time to post. 
Tight Lines

Mike. 

Hooked the negative lead from the battery to the post on the starter instead of hooking it to the front of the starter. I even had this picture to follow. That is why I don’t work on anything electronic!!!!

4F74EB02-06B7-4E82-9EA7-4FC329FE6A04.jpeg