Kanine Kleenup

Seattle area-Camano island fishing end of September?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

We are visiting my daughter the last week of September, staying in a beach house on camano island. Any fish still in the area? Local guide boat pull his boat mid sept…anyone have any advice what I could cast for around there? Thanks for any tips.. Brian 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Camano sits between two marine areas (MA).

To the north and west is MA 8-1 which is open for coho and pink salmon August 1st thru September 19th.

MA 8-2 is on the southern end and eastern side of the island. Only a small part of that MA is open for salmon and you won’t be able to access it from Camano. That area is open August 14th thru Sept 19th for pinks and hatchery coho. 
The entire Puget Sound is open year round for gamefish, which would be searun cutthroat. September is an excellent month for cutthroat, which must be released. All saltwater fishing is single barbless hooks, with up to two hooks.

If you are willing to travel or have access to a boat, you’ll have a lot more salmon options.

You’ll find better salmon options west of Camano in MA 9.

This years forecast is for 650K coho and 2.9 million pinks. Pinks peak in August but September is prime for coho.

SF

Edited by Stonefish

Thanks.. we will be on tyee beach right on the water.. cutthroat take lures from shore? Or bait? Is the week of September fishable? Thanks a lot.. ill be trying the local seafood while I’m there..

No need for bait for cutthroat.

Small spinners and spoons with single barbless hooks.

Which week will you be there in September?

Crabbing closes Labor Day weekend.

SF

If you are going to want to fish salmon, you’ll need to travel as it will be closed by then on Camano.

Drop me a pm as you get closer to your trip and I’ll let you know what is going on fishing wise and offer a few suggestions.

SF

If I were home in September I’d definitely be smacking the rivers HARD for salmon, thats primetime

corky, hook, no yarn, slinky weight (approx 1oz-1/2oz)  And 6’ leader. Cast upstream at about a 45 degree angle and drift it down.

I generally foshed the puyallup green and nisqually rivers though. Which aren’t wode and fairly skinny water for a washington river.

50lb braid/50 lb mono leader

Oh your there late September….

chum might be in that early which are a crazy good time.

but honestly thats like the tail end of the season for what I stated above, unless your into catching zombies and phased out fish

2 hours ago, Callmefish said:

If I were home in September I’d definitely be smacking the rivers HARD for salmon, thats primetime

corky, hook, no yarn, slinky weight (approx 1oz-1/2oz)  And 6’ leader. Cast upstream at about a 45 degree angle and drift it down.

I generally foshed the puyallup green and nisqually rivers though. Which aren’t wode and fairly skinny water for a washington river.

50lb braid/50 lb mono leader

Where you born in Washington or possibly stationed here?

SF

1 hour ago, Stonefish said:

Where you born in Washington or possibly stationed here?

SF

Born, I’m from pierce county toward summner/bonney lake area

8 mins ago, Callmefish said:

Born, I’m from pierce county toward summner/bonney lake area

Cool.

I must be old school having learned to drift fish back in the 60’s.

My go to outfit was 12 lb mono mainline with a 3’, 10 lb mono leader.

A lot of steelhead and salmon got released to the bbq with that combo, lol.

SF

58 mins ago, Stonefish said:

Cool.

I must be old school having learned to drift fish back in the 60’s.

My go to outfit was 12 lb mono mainline with a 3’, 10 lb mono leader.

A lot of steelhead and salmon got released to the bbq with that combo, lol.

SF

I’d use something like that on a humpy run. But I’d hate to be undergeared for a monster king in the river since they generally just punch straight down stream