AIsurf

Century surf machine elite 13 1-6oz good for popping in CCC?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I am looking for a rod for extreme casting distance while considering the ability to work a pencil popper in CCC. Is century surf machine elite 13 a good choice? Or slingshot 1506?

Although I do not fish the CCC, I do fish inlets in NJ where the environment does not allow for the Power Casting techniques to load-to-lock-out a 13ft or even a 12ft Century Sling Shot blank to achieve its maximum distance potential.  In these situations, I stay between 11ft Stealth (s1) rated 1-4, the 10ft 6in Stealth(s2) rated 2 to 5 and the 10ft 6in Sling Shot rated 2-5.  All three of these load very well with a curtailed Hatteras Cast.  Of these three blanks, the s1 is the most parabolic for a classic PP retrieve up to 2oz, but the s2 does very well with PP's in the 3 to 4oz range. For me, the 10ft 6in Sling Shot is too stiff (non-parabolic) for PP work.  

I do not feel that Slingshot blanks are suitable for a true PP retrieve, the exception being the 12ft 6in Sling Shot  rated 1-4 (known as the HJ144L) with 3-9 inches cut off the butt - most prefer 9 inches, I prefer 3 inches as a compromise between distance (351ft officially measured with a 3oz t-hex) and the required parabolic action for properly working a Pencil, keeping in mind that at 6ft, I can reach high enough up the blank, with the butt between my knees, to impart a parabolic back-and-forth swing to the blank from the mid-point up.

Hope this helps. 

20 hours ago, AIsurf said:

I am looking for a rod for extreme casting distance while considering the ability to work a pencil popper in CCC. Is century surf machine elite 13 a good choice? Or slingshot 1506?

While the 13' Elite does pencil nicely it's way to long for the Canal and really too long as a plugging rod. It's possible but just a lot of rod to plug with. 

Personally I would recommend either the 11'3" SM or SME. Both shine in the Canal as pencil popping rods.  Even 11'3" at a lot of spots in the Canal is long but it's doable.  Both versions of the 11' 3" are capable of big time distance. 

1 hour ago, AIsurf said:

Thanks a lot, folks, for the inputs. I will start to look at 11' to 12' rods.

Where are you located? I could probably arrange for you to test cast the 11'3"

7 mins ago, AFMike said:

Where are you located? I could probably arrange for you to test cast the 11'3"

Boston, MA. Test case will be awesome. 

On 8/4/2021 at 7:26 AM, AFMike said:

While the 13' Elite does pencil nicely it's way to long for the Canal and really too long as a plugging rod. It's possible but just a lot of rod to plug with. 

Personally I would recommend either the 11'3" SM or SME. Both shine in the Canal as pencil popping rods.  Even 11'3" at a lot of spots in the Canal is long but it's doable.  Both versions of the 11' 3" are capable of big time distance. 

Hi, Mike, is Slingshot (for example SS1506) considered as a better popping rod than 12ft+ SMEs?