Fish_Magic123

Rod/reel balance - surf fishing

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Basically, is it worth it to you to go heavier with a reel just to balance a rod? Or do you prefer lighter, especially if plugging? I personally think 16-17 oz is a good plugging reel weight and doesn’t wear me out after hours of casting. 

I'd always try and match the rod with the reel and keep it balanced, don't want it to be "tip heavy" with a reel that is too light, take the reel into the tackle shop and test it out on different rods

With the offerings available these days, 16-17oz is nice for a 9 foot rod maybe a 10 foot. You really have to try them out. I find when I get the paired perfectly, you just know right away. Tip weight is something I just don’t personally like. A lot of this is really about preference. 

If I can’t balance a setup, I prefer to be reel heavy rather than tip heavy. After you get comfortable, the setup feels like nothing. Muscle memory

I don't worry about the weight of the reel, I worry about the size of the rail physical size fitting the size of the rod.

Swanson end up with a real that's way too big physically to probably balance the rod and then you have a mismatch in size.

You can try to get this close as possible but, think of this when you got that plug on and the other line if the ride is too heavy anyway especially when you're cranking it in.

So in my book physical size appears to be correct way to go.

HH

34 mins ago, redfin said:

With the offerings available these days, 16-17oz is nice for a 9 foot rod maybe a 10 foot. You really have to try them out. I find when I get the paired perfectly, you just know right away. Tip weight is something I just don’t personally like. A lot of this is really about preference. 

Yeah that’s what I was thinking. A heavy setup just seems to tire your shoulders out after a while. To me that’s what separates a plugging setup from a chunking bait setup. 

1 min ago, liambrouillette said:

Drives me crazy these days people wanna put 3000 size reels on ten foot rods 

That’s way too light haha, I like a 5000 or 6000 size reel on a 10 foot. 3000 to me is good for a 7 or 8 foot rod. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I use the 50/50 weight balance on all my setups and works well for me. Like a Shimano Vanquish 5k (about 7.5oz) on my 11ft 1-2.7oz seabass rods - (about 7.5oz) and Visser #4 (12oz) on my (12oz) CTS 2-4oz. Don't know what it is but it just works for me.

Edited by StripedBasstardz

Posted (edited) · Report post

It takes a lot of extra weight in the reel to balance the rod.  It takes much less extra weight if you add it to the butt.  Leverage, you know.  The balance point on all my rigs is right under the reel seat.  Ultimate comfort.

Edited by oc1

55 mins ago, Fish_Magic123 said:

That’s way too light haha, I like a 5000 or 6000 size reel on a 10 foot. 3000 to me is good for a 7 or 8 foot rod. 

5000 shimano sustain in my profile pic is perfectly balanced with a 7'6 loomis- and it's a LIGHT rod.  It is a small reel for its class thou. 

9 hours ago, Fish_Magic123 said:

Basically, is it worth it to you to go heavier with a reel just to balance a rod? Or do you prefer lighter, especially if plugging? I personally think 16-17 oz is a good plugging reel weight and doesn’t wear me out after hours of casting. 

You basically want to be able to put the reel on the rod and have it look uniform. If the reel looks to big or small then it probably is.But the main thing you really want is a balanced combo.Balance is very important for sensitivity and performance at least to me anyway.If you’re using an unbalanced set up it can cause poor bite detection and more importantly muscle fatigue.You should be able to put one or two fingers under where you like to grip your rod and have it sit there  balanced horizontally as best you can. Tip heavy is never good.It can be quite hard trying to balance every set up.If I can’t balance a set up to where it’s comfortable I’ll go to the hardware store and get a rubber cap that will fit over the end of the rod.Then I’ll use washers,coins,lead or whatever I can find at the time and put them in the cap to counter balance it till it’s just about,if not perfect.It’s amazing how well this little trick works for me.Hope this helps ya! EA

6 mins ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

You basically want to be able to put the reel on the rod and have it look uniform. If the reel looks to big or small then it probably is.But the main thing you really want is a balanced combo.Balance is very important for sensitivity and performance at least to me anyway.If you’re using an unbalanced set up it can cause poor bite detection and more importantly muscle fatigue.You should be able to put one or two fingers under where you like to grip your rod and have it sit there  balanced horizontally as best you can. Tip heavy is never good.It can be quite hard trying to balance every set up.If I can’t balance a set up to where it’s comfortable I’ll go to the hardware store and get a rubber cap that will fit over the end of the rod.Then I’ll use washers,coins,lead or whatever I can find at the time and put them in the cap to counter balance it till it’s just about,if not perfect.It’s amazing how well this little trick works for me.Hope this helps ya! EA

This is very helpful! Thank you.

2 hours ago, oc1 said:

It takes a lot of extra weight in the reel to balance the rod.  It takes much less extra weight if you add it to the butt.  Leverage, you know.  The balance point on all my rigs is right under the reel seat.  Ultimate comfort.

My thinking if I ever spend on a custom rod.  Add some brass rings to the butt, and make those grips big.  All these skinny rods need some fattening up.