UncleJohn

August 2021 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

413 posts in this topic

Report as little or as much detail as you would like to provide the reader but please don't post specific street names or areas.

A specific spot is too much information!
It's not like telling a friend or two, posting it here is telling thousands. Doing so only creates crowds, garbage, and loss of our spots.

Try to keep other conversations, inquires, and rants in separate threads.

For example, you can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no.

The terms to use are...….

Monmouth County
Ocean County
Atlantic County
Cape May County
North Jersey for the Hudson and other backwaters.

County name plus "In the back" for Inlets, Rivers, and Bays.

MoCo 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM   It was nice to meet Suntzu today...  There was a pretty strong NW wind and the water was pretty clean.   Some salp but not bad...   It was hard to see any bait a low tide but the terns were picking so you know thery were there.    Conditions looked pretty good but I didn't get one bite all day.    I did somehow manage to snag a pretty big Cownose Ray.   I had an owner in line single hook on the jig and figured I had less of a chance of snagging a Cownose ray.  I guess there were pretty thick.   I did see one person catch a bluefish and a couple blackfish caught ...   Otherwise it was pretty dead today 

1 hour ago, BillHoo said:

How was the fight on that ray?  Keep it?

They fight very hard, especially on the steelhead rod.    I was able to walk it halfway down the jetty, but then it swam into the rocks.   A nice guy came to help me but the leader broke on the rocks.. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I know boat fish don't count but this was a first?  I barely keeper out of close to 50.  Local river.  Did this guy get bit when he was young and this how it healed?

20210803_145709.jpg

Edited by jpiercy13

Pretty crazy blitz right onto the beach in northern OC the other day.  

No fishing zone, so we just watched with everyone else.  Blues, stripers, and shark all right there in the wash taking advantage.  They all put on quite a show.

1 hour ago, jpiercy13 said:

I know boat fish don't count but this was a first?  I barely keeper out of close to 50.  Local river.  Did this guy get bit when he was young and this how it healed?

20210803_145709.jpg

pretty normal. well it is abnormal pigmentation, but not that uncommon. 

IMG_3276.jpg

IMG_3262.jpg

Local inlet top of the tide pretty busy for a week day Water dirtied up a bit, some rainfish and small peanuts around. Salps still here Managed a few bluefish but slow, I am sure it will turn on as the outgoing gets running towards sunset but bluefish are easy and are of an unexciting size - no macks in a week hopefully this E wind warms things and they get kick started again 

Edited by suntzu

55 mins ago, rocco said:

pretty normal. well it is abnormal pigmentation, but not that uncommon. 

IMG_3276.jpg

IMG_3262.jpg

Yup. Caught this one last summer. 

D356B0B1-75DB-499A-9C53-EAEAABC91D7D.png

4 hours ago, jpiercy13 said:

20210803_145709.jpg

That's what happens when you drink Red Bull, and piss over the rail of your boat. When it trickles down the water column and lands on a fish it changes their physiology!  Scientific fact! It's true!

Either that, or you were fishing too close to the nuke plant!

Edited by BillHoo

13 hours ago, MattieG said:

Yup. Caught this one last summer. 

D356B0B1-75DB-499A-9C53-EAEAABC91D7D.png

wow, that one's brown on the bottom :th:  :cool: 

18 hours ago, 55555s said:

Pretty crazy blitz right onto the beach in northern OC the other day.  

No fishing zone, so we just watched with everyone else.  Blues, stripers, and shark all right there in the wash taking advantage.  They all put on quite a show.

If this was Sunday, they moved south down the beach to where I was.  Suddenly swimmers were in a cloud of bunker right up to the lip.  I thought I saw a striper or two in there.  After about 10 minutes of this I ran back to the house to get a pole and fish an unguarded section.  Bunker were still around but in smaller numbers.  I managed to hook up with three 6-7 lb bluefish in as many casts.  Second one popped off at the lip.  The third I kept for the table.  Pretty wild.  Been out on that beach a lot and haven't seen that in a while.  

I haven't really been fishing during the day during guarded hours because I don't want to hook a ray, have it rip drag and swim into the bathers.  Just not worth it with all the people around, but I couldn't help myself this time with all the activity.