ErikT

Replenishment... Ortley and other beaches

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Look I'm not full of facts here.  I know nothing about replenishment other than:

 

  • Pump in sand from a few miles out
  • Sand makes beach much bigger
  • Mother nature chips away at it and it creates a hug drop off and nasty currents for swimmers
  • Eventually the beach is GONE again within 1-3 years depending on the weather

 

Case in point, Ortley beach.  Replenishment worked great for maybe 1 year... Maybe...   Now that beach is gone again...  The high water mark is about 15 yards from the dune.

 

Historically, rock jetties were used on the Jersey shore and it had much more positives than negatives and didn't require 100's of million's a year (as far as I know) 

 

So when are intelligent engineers going to step up and have an actual conversation? When are good people going to make choices based on facts and not based on business and lining their pockets? 

 

I'm from NY so I really have no skin in the game but I love the Jersey shore and I speak highly of it to anyone who will listen/  but to see what they have done to the coast is just sad. 

 

Anyway, rant over.... carry on 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, ErikT said:

Look I'm not full of facts here.  I know nothing about replenishment other than:

 

  • Pump in sand from a few miles out
  • Sand makes beach much bigger
  • Mother nature chips away at it and it creates a hug drop off and nasty currents for swimmers
  • Eventually the beach is GONE again within 1-3 years depending on the weather

 

Case in point, Ortley beach.  Replenishment worked great for maybe 1 year... Maybe...   Now that beach is gone again...  The high water mark is about 15 yards from the dune.

 

Historically, rock jetties were used on the Jersey shore and it had much more positives than negatives and didn't require 100's of million's a year (as far as I know) 

 

So when are intelligent engineers going to step up and have an actual conversation? When are good people going to make choices based on facts and not based on business and lining their pockets? 

 

I'm from NY so I really have no skin in the game but I love the Jersey shore and I speak highly of it to anyone who will listen/  but to see what they have done to the coast is just sad. 

 

Anyway, rant over.... carry on 

Preaching to the choir. 

If you go to Sandy Hook you can find a lot of the sand that was put in on the beaches to the south. In the museum there they have an interactive display that shows how the tip of the hook has changed over the years and how it has grown. That sand didn't just appear there on it's own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We talk about this all the time, every year there are threads on this... It's a money grab. A complete money grab... It's so sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I know Goldy.  I just wonder when it will change or what it will take for change to occur?  Seems to me there is no shortage of scum out there and sometimes we need to wipe the world of scum...   Just nobody with honesty and good intentions. No independent information to be trusted..  

 

Anyway, I wonder who came up with the money grab to begin with... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is they pump sand to make nice beaches to attract tourists who come to buy pizza and drinks and hang out.

 

How much $$$ does this tourism bring vs. the cost of beach replenishment.  Do the local homeowners bear a good part of that tax burden?  Or is the tax burden spread out among the state, where homeowners in Wantage, NJ are paying for the sand in Long Branch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, drumfish213 said:

Preaching to the choir. 

If you go to Sandy Hook you can find a lot of the sand that was put in on the beaches to the south. In the museum there they have an interactive display that shows how the tip of the hook has changed over the years and how it has grown. That sand didn't just appear there on it's own. 

If you fish the tip of the hook step off 2 feet and you will drop 20 feet off the cliff The Rip is one reason the Constant Dredging keep the Channel open to Earl. Navy Pier. The fact of History if Dredging was stopped the hook would extent to New York. The Lighthouse was Yards from the Tip when it was Built The Fugawe Indians long gone were the Inhabitants but may not have been. Some say they are still around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BillHoo said:

My guess is they pump sand to make nice beaches to attract tourists who come to buy pizza and drinks and hang out.

 

How much $$$ does this tourism bring vs. the cost of beach replenishment.  Do the local homeowners bear a good part of that tax burden?  Or is the tax burden spread out among the state, where homeowners in Wantage, NJ are paying for the sand in Long Branch?

Bill was tourism suffering?  I’ve been going to the Jersey shore for 40 years and it’s always been beautiful a d packed with people. I’d say it’s more to do with greed and creating a new recurring revenue stream with jobs and backend money each year. That combined with justification of protecting multi million dollar homes, creates an easy sell and buy in from voters on such topics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

52 mins ago, Cheeckakoe said:

....The Lighthouse was Yards from the Tip when it was Built The Fugawe Indians long gone were the Inhabitants but may not have been. Some say they are still around. 

I hear they were supplanted by the Fugazy, and their range went all the way up through the island of Manhattan and Long Island.  They subsisted on a diet of salted fish eggs and fermented sparkling grape juice.  Their cultural champion was the late Bob Hope.  They gave him the native name "Bob Fugazy Continental Hope".  Which means "Man who loves a smooth ride."

Edited by BillHoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2021 at 4:20 PM, ErikT said:

I know I know Goldy.  I just wonder when it will change or what it will take for change to occur?  Seems to me there is no shortage of scum out there and sometimes we need to wipe the world of scum...   Just nobody with honesty and good intentions. No independent information to be trusted..  

 

Anyway, I wonder who came up with the money grab to begin with... 

 Look at that harbor on the east shore some of that NJ sand is washing there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every year here in Wells they try to replenish the beaches, pumping from offshore. dredging and dumping, dredging the harbor and pumping onto beaches. Good for temporary harbor cleanup, but but it brings more junk onto beaches, We knock on wood have not had any storms of size to effect the beaches. When the State mapping people come it's interesting that the beaches are not elevating, just opposite in that beach on low tide is going farther out. On low tide a taller person can walk to the end of the jetty on the south jetty. With permission my wife and I bought approved dune grass for replenishing. In 4-5 yrs. we added back 150' of dune 40' wide that elevated 3.5' with heavy lush dune grass that hosts many Plover families. I know beach people don't like the diagonal posts, pilling's etc. , But it works

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BillHoo said:

My guess is they pump sand to make nice beaches to attract tourists who come to buy pizza and drinks and hang out.

 

How much $$$ does this tourism bring vs. the cost of beach replenishment.  Do the local homeowners bear a good part of that tax burden?  Or is the tax burden spread out among the state, where homeowners in Wantage, NJ are paying for the sand in Long Branch?

State and Federal money being washed away. So some shmoo in Indiana donated some of his tax money to it too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.