Albieaddict

Big schools of Bass - Offshore

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was fishing north of the Boston yesterday. It was kind of snotty out, blowing maybe 10-15 out of the South, and I saw a dark patch in the water in about 25' of water that I thought might be pogies, but they were deep. Just for kicks, I threw a buddies 14" Beast fly and to my surprise, watched a 40" class fish inhale it boatside.

This school stuck around for the better part of two hours and was still there when we left. We caught three before leaving them alone. They were NOT feeding on pogies. The vast majority of the school was this size class or larger. There were at least 300 fish in the school, with very few fish under 36".

They were rolling occasionally but not feeding aggressively, maybe not at all. The school was visible the entire time despite the extremely poor light and relatively deep/dark bottom color.

Has anyone seen this behavior before? Any theories on what they were doing? To me, it actually felt like they were staging the the fall fun. It seems early, but water temps have dropped quickly over the last week with the hard West winds we are experiencing - from 71F last Saturday to 62F in this location. 

IMG_20210801_154438_907.jpg

Edited by Albieaddict

Nice job. As soon as that sun set gets earlier they move south. Normally I see it last 2 weeks of July.  They don't care about water temp or abundance of food. They have buisness elsewhere to attend too. 

It can't happen soon enough for Metro Boston. Comms Hammering for almost two solid months. Poachers up the ass and no overtime ops for Environmental Police to police the area. 

You're over thinking it, big fish find small fish, big fish eat small fish.  Enjoy the day and catch em up, try to find em again tomorrow.

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Nice job. As soon as that sun set gets earlier they move south. Normally I see it last 2 weeks of July.  They don't care about water temp or abundance of food. They have buisness elsewhere to attend too. 

It can't happen soon enough for Metro Boston. Comms Hammering for almost two solid months. Poachers up the ass and no overtime ops for Environmental Police to police the area. 

Can attest to water temps not being very important; this year we found respectable bass in 80+* water, when they want to eat... they're gonna eat.  Only way to know is to go.

Shame to hear about lack of enforcement in Boston... wish these fish could catch a damn break for a few years.

Edited by Wizumz

12 mins ago, Wizumz said:

Can attest to water temps not being very important; this year we found respectable bass in 80+* water, when they want to eat... they're gonna eat.  Only way to know is to go.

Shame to hear about lack of enforcement in Boston... wish these fish could catch a damn break for a few years.

It was total powerlessness this year. The best   
I could do is call after call to EP dispatch. Finally got a call back Sunday after one call a week for 6 weeks. Only to find out the overtime night time op has not been approved, again. EP's words. 

I can only believe there may be some sort of corruption within the ep department or the State Police and Boston Police overtime scandal has cut down shifts. I only know the poachers operate without worry. Contacted a reporter who also fishes and showed him first hand last night what is going on. I can only hope we can make enough noise to get something done about it. 

47 mins ago, Wizumz said:

Go for it, Mike! 

Sadly I have. Even without Covid which stopped travel from Uk to USA I could not justify a trip total of 6000 miles.

Past three seasons Cape a Cod has been worse than dire for the shore based fly Guy.

The first moratorium was a resounding success. No doubt that you need a second.

To lose one of the greatest fish and fisheries nearly once is bad enough but to do it twice is nothing short of criminal.

Way too many people from all sections who prosecute this fishery just dont get it.

They don’t want to get it. Only personal greed and today matter for them.

We screwed our Bass Fishery in the Uk and today we are left mostly with fish of around 18 Inches.  

Mike

18 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Sadly I have. Even without Covid which stopped travel from Uk to USA I could not justify a trip total of 6000 miles.

Past three seasons Cape a Cod has been worse than dire for the shore based fly Guy.

The first moratorium was a resounding success. No doubt that you need a second.

To lose one of the greatest fish and fisheries nearly once is bad enough but to do it twice is nothing short of criminal.

Way too many people from all sections who prosecute this fishery just dont get it.

They don’t want to get it. Only personal greed and today matter for them.

We screwed our Bass Fishery in the Uk and today we are left mostly with fish of around 18 Inches.  

Mike

Moratorium would be fantastic and is already necessary, I agree.

Albieaddict: I've seen that from time to time.  They are out there feeding then they shut down.  Typically they dive down to the depths when they are done.  Your situation sounds a bit different. 

Riddler: Great job trying to get press on this issue.  Politicians respond to negative press, especially if it lights a fire under people and they start contacting their constituent service personnel.  When you look at all the priorities on the state's plate, catching fish poachers is not high on the list, if it is on the list at all.  Having a balanced budget is a big priority, so OT to catch fish poachers is just not going to happen. I've said it in prior posts, MA doesn't respect wildlife held in public trust. 

Had to be a really pleasing sight!., The depth of water seems to be the zone the bass are in up and down the coast,