cadbao

Looking for advice for a specific striper fishing situation

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

This month Ill be targeting stripers at a location where there is a bottleneck of action. During the nighttime outgoing tide, bait fish are carried to this bottleneck and the stripers feast. You can see the flash of stripers slicing through this bait ball. But considering the heavy action I wasnt happy with how few we caught last time I fished the location.     

I was using live eels, hooking the eels through the upper jaw and livelining them. Im wondering if there is a better way.     

Should I try a sinker rig instead? I was thinking about tying a weight at the end of the line and tying the hook a couple feet above so the eel cant dive for cover and is flailing in the middle of the water column. Any suggestions?

the old saying is match the hatch...if their keyed on herring,sea worm hatch,pogies,tiny bait match your offerings that are of same size and look of what their after.

Try a plug that can be dressed up in a eel skin. Eel skin plugs can be presented many ways and because you fish it like a plug it can cover more of the water column. A PIA but it will catch 

5 hours ago, capesams said:

the old saying is match the hatch...if their keyed on herring,sea worm hatch,pogies,tiny bait match your offerings that are of same size and look of what their after.

right.

best way i can think of…

what are they eating?

catch/get some and send them down thru the frenzy as natural as possible but with a circle hook in it.  bait or if no bait option (can’t get any etc) closest lure you have that can act natural - meaning “acting” the as close to the same as the bait they are after - if it deep, make it deep.  if swimming up current reel up current, etc.

Dont Deadstick your rod.  Keep the eel just above the bottom every time he digs down.  Use a light leader and small hooks.  Try all different eel sizes.  The smallest one in the bucket will sometimes get the biggest fish.

I'd pray that everything goes the way you describe, just because they fed there last night doesn't mean they show up every outgoing tide. If only it were that easy.

13 hours ago, cadbao said:

how do i reply to comments?   

the baitfish were those little saltwater shiners.  thanks for your suggestions guys

Teaser fly rigged above (in front of)  your lure.

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 hours ago, cadbao said:

how do i reply to comments?   

the baitfish were those little saltwater shiners.  thanks for your suggestions guys

Use a little sluggo, either a small jig head or weight less depending on depth..  just cast retrieve slowly.

Edited by 1ife

I would bang a big popper or 6 inch swimmer through and on the sides of that bait ball!!

keep your Eels in your bag. you need to keep getting in that, cast after cast.

also, a lead head to keep an Eels head down and a twitch every now and again has worked for me, also depends how fast or slow the water is.

good luck.