pennfishing82

Bucktail hairs

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

I have tried various bucktails, spro, andrus jetty casters, Walmart bucktails, runoff, etc. Everyone of them, the hairs basically fall apart. What's the point of using them if the hairs fall apart after a few fish? It's annoying because I know they're very effective, but don't wanna use them anymore because of the weak hairs. Anyone have this problem?

1 hour ago, pennfishing82 said:

I have tried various bucktails, spro, andrus jetty casters, Walmart bucktails, runoff, etc. Everyone of them, the hairs basically fall apart. What's the point of using them if the hairs fall apart after a few fish? It's annoying because I know they're very effective, but don't wanna use them anymore because of the weak hairs. Anyone have this problem?

Most bucktails out there are garbage. Spro bucktails are junk. I wouldn't want Spro bucktails if they were free. Most of my bucktails are custom made to my exact specifications. But if you want already made bucktails that are truly well made, check out Jeck's. Those are some of the best. :th:

Dan Tinman makes great jigs.  Available here in the CBST or on his website. 

Variety of shapes and sizes. Great full bucktail. Great hooks.  Just a great lure all around.  

16 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Dan Tinman makes great jigs.  Available here in the CBST or on his website. 

Variety of shapes and sizes. Great full bucktail. Great hooks.  Just a great lure all around.  

Yes check out Dan's right here on this site

Occasionally, I will have and andrus or bluefrog fall apart but it is rare. I think Bluefrog assembly  might be out of country. recently I had one where the hairs wore out pretty quick as if they were dried out and brittle.  On andrus, I have had some where the thread unwound, but that was a decade ago, and have not seen the issue since.

Like anything you can get a bad batch, but it is better to stick to local Northeast brands or find a local tier. 

That's why I stick with metal lures. Diamond jigs, kastmasters, charlie graves, etc. Even the biggest blue fish won't destroy a metal lure. Nothing to fall apart. 

Dont underestimate the power of a bucktail. Tins definitely have their place and utility, but I rarely use them over bucktails. I would say 50% or more of my fish come on bucktails, the rest on plugs. I do carry tins but they do not hold the same conversion power in my opinion.

25 mins ago, puppet said:

Dont underestimate the power of a bucktail. Tins definitely have their place and utility, but I rarely use them over bucktails. I would say 50% or more of my fish come on bucktails, the rest on plugs. I do carry tins but they do not hold the same conversion power in my opinion.

Definitely understand what you're saying, but the bucktails I've tried, the hairs just fell apart. Very fustrating. 

1 hour ago, pennfishing82 said:

Definitely understand what you're saying, but the bucktails I've tried, the hairs just fell apart. Very fustrating. 

It is really rare.  walmart or cheap brands, I can see it happening where the material might be compromised or poor grade.  Even the problems I note are only 1-2 bucktails per thousand.

Bluefish will chew the hell out of bucktails,  are you catching blues?

3 hours ago, pennfishing82 said:

That's why I stick with metal lures. Diamond jigs, kastmasters, charlie graves, etc. Even the biggest blue fish won't destroy a metal lure. Nothing to fall apart. 

A bluefish's mouth is like a pair of scissors. Taking your bucktails to the bluefish is like taking your bucktails to the barber. Of course they'll fall apart. That's common sense. No bucktail can survive that. Not even Jeck's. You shouldn't throw bucktails to bluefish for the same reason why you shouldn't throw soft rubber to bluefish.

Screenshot_20210626-000412.png

Posted (edited) · Report post

go to comm bst. and check out all of dans stuff. his hold up and catch fish. cannot recommend dan enough, good dude and good product

and to your post, a good bucktails hair shouldnt fall apart, some will from blues/abuse but on the whole, should last alittle bit

Edited by jerseybuddha

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, pennfishing82 said:

:headscratch:  ...  D Mag makes some really nice Pencil poppers with rattles in them. Blue fish really go nuts over them and they won't chip or loose a tooth like they do with metal lures.

bf.png.647aac848151ec7ab3abb549fb05f2a2.png

Edited by Lou T

10 mins ago, Lou T said:

:headscratch:  ...  D Mag makes some really nice Pencil poppers with rattles in them. Blue fish really go nuts over them and they won't chip or loose a tooth like they do with metal lures.

bf.png.647aac848151ec7ab3abb549fb05f2a2.png

The Dentist has spoken!

5 mins ago, CaryGreene said:

The Dentist has spoken!

No really, take the hooks off them, at least the belly hook because you might get a Bass. 

Those big Blues just bite down on that plug and don't let go... :)

i just dont use them for blues and that helped alot. I know sometimes they are mixed in with other species I am targeting but I try when I can.

Fluke do the most damage after blues but its not much. 

When I do have bucktails with no hair, I still use them with a soft plastic and havent had any negative issues with them.