dannyplug1

Deer expert question

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I was out with my wife driving from surf spot to another spot when she saw a bunch of deer in a field.  Now we have tons of deer where I live and not much hunting pressure.  But my wife saw that there were three bucks laying on there haunches together in the high grass of the  field.  We stopped the car and I put my binoculars on them.  Out of the group there were three huge bucks hanging together and others with out antlers spread out on the other part of the field.  I am not a hunter but am fascinated by deer (I hunt sheds and know where I’ll be looking next year),  is this strange behavior I thought mature bucks don’t hang together and not at twilight and In the middle of a field.  I thought old bucks hung out in the deepest brush or woods or swamp during the day and moved In The dark.  Withe exception to this being the rut.  Can some one explain this behavior to me?

Those will be dead bucks soon but it’s the summer pattern. They’ll move during daylight. They also move in bachelor groups. Once pressure starts settling in they’ll adapt

Summer Bachelor groups. Come fall, they won't be so nice to each other when the rut kicks in. They will slowly start to disband in the fall, going their own way.

Males mostly hang with males. Females mostly hang with females.  Kinda like humans. Except that deer can figure out their gender better than humans. Let's hope deer don't start watching TV. 

As a few others said this is normal behavior. Wait till fall comes, and you won’t be seeing them together like that again till next summer. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Catskill John said:

:point:

I would trade all my fishing spots for deer hunting spots!

01840757-E55C-4A82-8B6C-98694C398218.jpeg

F36BC78C-8547-46B6-B35B-AC8E526DEA31.jpeg

29DAF94C-F0C1-4540-953D-C5D83126AA47.jpeg

D16A4E5A-4C76-4269-8169-ACC1F1DA3BDE.jpeg

8E70B4B3-1EAF-4C99-AE3E-AA58CD93193C.jpeg

794CD63E-76E6-4F47-9C98-BEEAE6A426BC.jpeg

EE12EFC5-6D3B-4BA0-BCC4-18B8521E323D.jpeg

Edited by ged