gellfex

Got an 'after closing' parking ticket at an NYC parks official kayak launch

51 posts in this topic

The park closed at 7pm, I got a $95 ticket at 8:12.  Ouch! Think there's a change of fighting it by saying I had gear trouble on the water causing me to be late getting back? 

What I find disappointing is that the officer was more concerned with writing a ticket instead of finding out why a person who was out on a kayak did not return in over 1 hour past the allowed time. If I was the officer I would have been more concerned about your safety and had someone check the area you were kayaking.

1 min ago, Flip n Dip said:

What I find disappointing is that the officer was more concerned with writing a ticket instead of finding out why a person who was out on a kayak did not return in over 1 hour past the allowed time. If I was the officer I would have been more concerned about your safety and had someone check the area you were kayaking.

Disappointing but not at all shocking. The ticket was shocking! I'd been that late many times before. They chase out the beachgoers but seemed to give paddlers some leeway. But there were far fewer beach stragglers, it seems they were cracking down.

33 mins ago, Flip n Dip said:

What I find disappointing is that the officer was more concerned with writing a ticket instead of finding out why a person who was out on a kayak did not return in over 1 hour past the allowed time.

And how would he/she know that person is out kayaking?

Just because there is a yak rack on the car?

Just now, Popasilov said:

Well, there's really nothing else in that corner of the park but kayak launch.

I wouldn't waste my time trying to fight the ticket. Pretty sad that's this a priority of law enforcement.  I will say they should have given a warning the first time.

That sucks, so many times I’ve waited at that gate past 7am for the NYC cops to open the park. Your lucky they didn’t tow you with the out of state plates! As a NYC park that money probably goes in de Blasio’s pile. 
 Did you catch $95 worth of fish?

I would fight it tooth and nail. Get the media involved. This is wrong. Go arrest a crack dealer , a rapist, a heroin dealer, a gang banger. Tell the world how effed up that is. You will get support. A story like this needs to be told. You have done nothing wrong. This is your land

10 hours ago, gellfex said:

The park closed at 7pm, I got a $95 ticket at 8:12.  Ouch! Think there's a change of fighting it by saying I had gear trouble on the water causing me to be late getting back? 

So the park closed at 7:00.  And you discovered your ticket after 8:00.  Don't blame the cop.  You can bet that he was ordered to go out and check the park.  Not something most cops look forward to.  As for fighting, good luck with that.  Sounds pretty clear cut.  If the hours are posted, I wouldn't waste my time trying to fight it.  If they hours are not posted, you have a chance.

9 hours ago, Popasilov said:

common sense say a vehicle parked at a kayak launch with kayak racks is likely a kayaker. 

If the times are clearly posted, and the time is written on your ticket, no sense in fighting it. Sometimes you can fight it if the closing time is something general, like "sunset."

I'll add this: I spent seven years in Rhode Island before returning to NY. Immediately I've recognized how truly atrocious our public access is. This state just permits you to death, including special rules for night access. In Rhode Island I could park at virtually any beach for free, any time of night, save for a few places. Navigating the dizzying amount of permits for state parks, county parks, plus night passes is brutal and a real shame. I feel that public access only goes one way, more and more restrictive.