Chunkah

Removing Granite Countertop

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

So I have to remove a granite countertop that is secured to a kitchen island that I have to preserve and move (I need to preserve the cabinetry, but not necessarily the countertop, but I'd like to save it if I can, not just smash it out).

My plan is to get under the counter, inside the island cabinets, and to try to shim up the counter with plastic shims while my helper uses a heat gun to help release the glue / silicone / epoxy. I've also watched a few videos that suggest I may run into some crews that may or may not be used to secure the top to the cabinets...I have carbide blades for my oscillating tool to cut those if I run into any.

Has anyone done this with success that may have some pointers?

Thanks!

My best pointer is get somebody else to move it! Them be heavy, bad for the back. And those counters always break at the sink cutout, if you have one. I think the stone guys have lots of practice moving them around to not break them. Shouldn't you be able to see any screws from inside? And heat will have no effect on silicone, and not a lot on epoxy. It's probably silicone from the installs I've seen, love @gray gables braid idea.

Razor knife around the edges and then a 3 inch putty knife that has a nice edge on it.  You can zip it right around the island.